What kind of cat is a "good mouser"

DuckyBoys

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Colorado
Long story short - I'm sick of these turdy little mice coming in the house.

Now, I can tolerate them in the barn, but in my laundry room, no way.

I always hear people talk about their "good mouser" cats, is there a breed that makes a good mouser or do you have to get a few and see if they have skills?

I want a mouser. I'm not a cat person, but I feel this may be necessary.

I have 3 huge dogs and 2 smaller ones who will definately NOT like the cat but who will probably respect it if it can hold it's own.

Any suggestions for a breed? Or should I just go pick up a rescue and hope for the best?

Do I need more than one if I have seen mice in the laundry room and the bathroom?

I'm going mouse crazy, I've never had mouse probelms in the summer - only the spring and fall. HELP!

barnie.gif
barnie.gif

I'd like to think all cats are good mousers, but my Maine coon cats do a great job...but then there are the poor chipmunks and birds they like to devour! But not the chickens...my cats run from the chickens!!!

Quote:
They are actually on my list because of their cool factor alone, but don't know if we have any breeders here in CO. I'll check that out, thanks!
smile.png

Anyone else have opinions?

I don't know if there's a specific breed that are good mousers, but I can tell you that my Toby catches all kinds of varmints. I think the reason is the poor guy showed up last summer starving to death, literally just skin and bones, and had obviously been living outdoors for a while trying to forage for food. I'm sure he became very adept at hunting. Even though he's very well fed now, he still has that killer instinct. He's killed 5 voles in the last month and at least 2 mice. So if you can adopt one that is known to have had to survive on his own, you've probably got yourself a mouser.
smile.png

This may or may not be true... just my honest opinion... but I believe females, especially those that have had kittens, make the best mousers. But, that being said, any cat can be a good mouser.... and some won't mouse at all
tongue.png
The feistier the better
wink.png
LOL

Personally we had a Maine Coon cat and she was a wonderful mouser/murderess. I honestly do not know if any of our cats would bother the chickens, I think our Teddy would for sure.
A number of years ago, I had a female mutt cat, black and white, she hauled all sorts of "meals" in! Yes, she had a litter of kittens, but they also like to "feed" you, its like they pay you in critters and they go eat the kibble, lol.
This black and white one actually brought home rabbits, mice, cleaned out (grrr) a nest of flying squirells and anything that moved.
One day I crawled into bed after working over night , dead tired on my feet, flipped back the covers to find chick-a-dee defeathered, dead between my comforter and blanket! Poooof they went!!!!!!!!!!!
lol.png
The snake in the kitchen floor was about the last straw, we picked her up every time she came in checking her mouth!
They are funny tho, good luck on your Kitty hunt, go to the local rescue, pick out one that is already fixed, shots etc and remember that cats that eat wild critters can also contact rabies, distemper and will have a multitude of worm issues if they eat the catch, we had round worm issues from them injesting live pray.

LOL , The hungry cat is the best mouser. What ever type you get need to be fed just enough to keep him health, dont over feed or it will get lazy. Also dont go spend 350 for some high class snobby cat. Watch your local free sites for free farm cats. These kitten and cats already have been around it. All of my cats just showed up here and they are great. Also this sounds bad but if you find a nest of pinkies, show your cat or kittens. THis will instil the hunt instinct in them. Jenn

Ferel cats.. those who have been born to stray mama cats, and not hand raised as pets, make great mousers. a lot of communities have programs to catch, neuter, and release or re-home ferel cats for barn or farm cats. These cats are not usually lovey lap-cats, but they can be very loyal, and they learn quickly where the food in the dish outside comes from.
I also have a maine coon.. and she is a great mouser. She's older now, and does not go outside anymore.. and she's gotten a little spoiled and plump.. so we are looking for a ferel cat to have around outside for the field mice.

farm cats. go talk to a farmer, they always have extras. pick an active kitty, with a big play drive. a girl or neautered male. toms would rather eat your food then go hunt a girlfriend. and spayed girls hunt just fine.

We love our Clarence, he's a Manx. He is the best mouser, rat control, snake control, I guess any wild smaller thing he would give a try. But he shares scraps with the chickens (and would never even think of looking at the babies!), and loves to sleep with the goats. He also made our dog be his friend! He also likes to sleep with his head on a pillow and covered up. He's the best! We also have 2 mutt cats that are great mouse only hunters.
Blessings,
Amy J.

Back
Top Bottom