What is this?

Octanull8396

Hatching
May 12, 2024
I am very concerned that this is avian pox. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to contact an avian vet because there are none in my area, and on top of that I am worried about my laying hens dying because they are the best thing that came into my life two years ago. These little hairs started appearing about a month ago, I don't know if they are keratin crystals or smallpox, but I am concerned. One thing I noticed is that my other hens don't have the same condition, or at least I don't think so. I did see one of my other hens with spots on her crest of the same color (but only spots). Now, I see that they are getting more and more, and I am afraid that it could be smallpox... I think it could have been caused by mosquitoes, but the truth is that if you can help me, I would like you to give me a solution, homemade or otherwise. Thank you very much 🫂
IMG-20240512-WA0002.jpg

I am very concerned that this is avian pox. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to contact an avian vet because there are none in my area, and on top of that I am worried about my laying hens dying because they are the best thing that came into my life two years ago. These little hairs started appearing about a month ago, I don't know if they are keratin crystals or smallpox, but I am concerned. One thing I noticed is that my other hens don't have the same condition, or at least I don't think so. I did see one of my other hens with spots on her crest of the same color (but only spots). Now, I see that they are getting more and more, and I am afraid that it could be smallpox... I think it could have been caused by mosquitoes, but the truth is that if you can help me, I would like you to give me a solution, homemade or otherwise. Thank you very much 🫂
Could you please send some more pictures? It could be foul pox but it doesn’t quite look like how my hens did. When my hens had foul pox I cleaned their sores with iodine mixed with water afew times day. You could try that untill get you a solid answer. 🫂

Could you please send some more pictures? It could be foul pox but it doesn’t quite look like how my hens did. When my hens had foul pox I cleaned their sores with iodine mixed with water afew times day. You could try that untill get you a solid answer. 🫂
IMG-20240512-WA0008.jpg
this is another. My hen moved so fast lol

The second picture does look like fowl pox scabs in the beginning. They then turn tan, brown or dark brown. Fowl,pox is a virus carried by mosquitoes in hot humid weather. It lasts about 3 weeks, and most chickens recover well if there are no secondary infections.

Looks like fowl pox to me. Unfortunately fowl pox has no known cure but then again, I'm no expert. I hope you find some good info on this page. Also :welcome

The second picture does look like fowl pox scabs in the beginning. They then turn tan, brown or dark brown. Fowl,pox is a virus carried by mosquitoes in hot humid weather. It lasts about 3 weeks, and most chickens recover well if there are no secondary infections.
Thanks brother, I'm very thankful for this community

Yeah, I'm using iodo for my hens now, thank you all

Pox viruses don’t tend to be lethal in most species (think chicken pox in people) but are painful and irritating for several weeks. Young and immune compromised birds are at higher risk of complications. Apparently there is also a form that can affect the lungs (rather than just the skin) which is associated with wet bedding and unhygienic conditions that can be much worse. Birds with lesions around the beak may have trouble eating/drinking due to pain. This is not a form or related to small pox (which is extinct in the wild and exists only in the lab but is highly lethal in naive populations). Affected birds will be immune afterwards and good nursing care is the treatment of choice. Don’t panic! Also consider insect bites, skin parasites, and environmental irritation (dust and wind, strong sunlight, cage with pokey wire…) in your list of posssible causes. Not sure if poultry have a wart virus or are prone to ringworm but also a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom