What is the best bedding for ducklings?

LavenderDaFlerf

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Nov 2, 2021
Georgia
What is the best bedding for ducklings? I know pine shavings are good for chicks and I have them on hand but is there anything that won't get disgusting in 2 seconds?

Newly hatched ducklings less than a couple weeks old are better kept on old towels [shake wash and reuse] or puppy pee pads or rubber shelf liner being they can't eat them. If using old towels make sure there are no strings. After a couple weeks thick pine shavings work well by then they know what food is and aren't as apt to try and eat shavings. Putting pee pads under shavings makes clean-up easier too.

Newly hatched ducklings less than a couple weeks old are better kept on old towels [shake wash and reuse] or puppy pee pads or rubber shelf liner being they can't eat them. If using old towels make sure there are no strings. After a couple weeks thick pine shavings work well by then they know what food is and aren't as apt to try and eat shavings. Putting pee pads under shavings makes clean-up easier too.
I use puppy pee pads in my brooder. You just roll them up and throw them away and put down fresh. I find shavings to be a lot of stinky work until they are ready to go outside. Then I use them.
Thanks for the quick replies! I think I'll do old towels as that would be most convenient for me.

How many ducklings will you have? making waterers similar to this and putting it on a tray can really help contain some of the mess they will make. I found an old broiler pan at a thrift store to use and placed a puppy pee pad over it then put down the waterer.
8AFFB8E6-980F-4D46-B4BB-0F9C04A19524.jpeg

How many ducklings will you have? making waterers similar to this and putting it on a tray can really help contain some of the mess they will make. I found an old broiler pan at a thrift store to use and placed a puppy pee pad over it then put down the waterer. View attachment 3088840
Four maybe six if I go by TSC, that looks like a really good idea!

Back
Top Bottom