what is taking my hens at night have a five ft high fencing around my coop

blueseal

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
WALDOBORO MAINE
something is getting in my coop at night and stealing my chickens I always kept the chicken door open at night because I didn't have any problems until now lost 4 hens in about a month I close the door off at night now don't want to lose anymore I have lost a few to hawks during the day. whatever is taking them at night they don't leave any trace of the chicken just feathers and they only been taking one at a time.

fox/coyote/bobcat will carry it away.

raccoon/opossum will tear it up where it stands.

good idea closing the door - maybe consider netting over the run if you are afraid of owls or hawks.

I'm sorry about your girls...I know it is unnerving to find them missing like that.

A 5 ft fence is nothing for a raccoon, fox, coyote, possum or most any other predator. The only way they can truly be safe is locked inside a predator proof coop with raccoon proof latches (they are wily critters and very dexterous).

A 5 ft fence is nothing for a raccoon, fox, coyote, possum or most any other predator. The only way they can truly be safe is locked inside a predator proof coop with raccoon proof latches (they are wily critters and very dexterous).

x2 - what is this five foot fence made of? Is it covered across the top? I know you mentioned some losses to hawks, so it would seem likely it is not covered, but that could have been while they were outside of the fence ranging so don't want to assume. Really, just on what I am envisioning based on your description above, the answer is ANYTHING could be taking your birds.

I had a 6 foot fence around my coop and a coyote was getting over it. Raised it to 8 foot and no more coyote problem. Coons- it doesnt matter how tall the fence is.

Run a strand of electric wire around the outside bottom half and top half of your fence for any predators without wings, as for the winged ones close your pop door at night, owls will use the same door as the chickens to get in and take one or two in a night, usually you will find feathers or parts left behind with an owl attack

A bobcat jumped over our 6ft fence and grabbed one of our chickens (during the day) so 5 ft would be no problem. Do you have a game/trail camera? These cameras are great for
knowing what's out and about your yard at night (and day). They are a little pricey but very helpful.

That's a bobcat on our property with the chicken coop in the background. Sorry for you loss.

Back
Top Bottom