What is maximum capacity of 56-egg incubator?

CanadaEh

Songster
May 31, 2018
Canada
I have 56-egg Chinese made incubator with motorized egg turner I used successfully a few time. Instead of doing 2 sequential batches this time in it I would prefer to do one large batch. So I was thinking about adding 2nd floor to it with just wire mesh and turning them by hand as I don't have a second egg turner.

But according this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/do-not-turn-eggs-what-do-you-think.32715/ the necessity of egg turning might be a myth.

Giving that have anybody tried to pack the 56 egg or similar incubator (egg turner removed) with eggs on their pointy side and how many you were able to fit? Any issues with lesser air circulation, some eggs being tight against the wall and being colder (the incubator is covered with styrofoam and have forced air fan, but still), egg shells/chicks crushed during hatching, anything else?

Birds turn their eggs purposely and not by accident. From this I believe it is necessary that the eggs be turned for normal development.

I have a small Safego incubator that has a fan. There have been times where I stacked eggs on top of each other with nothing between the egg layers and had to unload the incubator to turn each egg-what a pain. The vast majority of the eggs developed and hatched, but I did a staggered hatch; the ones to hatch soon on the top layer. It did work. The eggs developed regardless of being the 1st level or the 3rd level.

Think twice about doing this as it quickly become a crappie chore. I did only out of necessity and have no wish to repeat the experience.

If you do plan on doing this, experiment first by putting eggs at different levels and check for development. Just because it worked in my incubator doesn't necessarily mean it will work with yours.

if you stack Id make a platform for each level yo be lifted out and just roll around eggs with your hands. I completely stopped using turners last year and began rolling my hands over all my eggs once in morning and again in late afternoon. Same hatch rates just able to fit an extra 15+ eggs in the bator each time. I personally use gqf 1588, 1604n, and 2370. The 2370 was best bang for my buck but out of 3 two malfunctioned so Im no longer overly sold on them...

I've found that incubating eggs is a lot like pan frying chicken:

1. Having enough space between the chicken and not overcrowding the pan is crucial.

Translation: Air flow is extremely important even in the beginning stages because eggs are porous. Also when they hatch that incubator will fill up fast. I only hatch 7-14 eggs at a time in my Nurture Right 360 that can hold up to 22 eggs, but even at 14 it's jammed packed when they hatch. Taken from Mississippi State University Agricultural Department-

"Ventilation is very important during the incubation process. While the embryo is developing, oxygen enters the egg through the shell and carbon dioxide escapes in the same manner. As the chicks hatch, they require an increased supply of fresh oxygen. As embryos grow, the air vent openings are gradually opened to satisfy increased embryonic oxygen demand. Care must be taken to maintain humidity during the hatching period. Unobstructed ventilation holes, both above and below the eggs, are essential for proper air exchange."
http://extension.msstate.edu/content/important-incubation-factors

2. Moving the chicken around the pan helps to ensure an even temperature.

Translation: Even circulated air incubators have cold spots and moving the eggs around ensures that they are all being incubated at the same temperature.

3. A quality meat thermometer is always import to ensure you don't over or under cook.
Translation: Never solely rely on your onboard instruments or just guessing. Always have an analog thermometer in there to make sure your eggs are actually being incubated at the proper temperature otherwise there is a good chance that you will have them hatching too early or late.

4. Flipping the chicken prevents sticking.

Translation: Hens will shuffle their eggs when they get up to eat and drink so I do too. However, hens can't count so I just make sure at least once a day they get turned.
There actually is science behind it and the best explanation for it that I have found is from the Department of Anatomy and Embryology, University College London- "At this time a large area of chorion lies close to the shell membranes and the layer of albumen between the two has been greatly reduced by
a loss of fluid from the albumen to the yolk. Abnormal adhesions between the
chorion and shell membranes, therefore, seem a possibility at this stage unless
the shell and its membranes are periodically moved relative to the egg contents,
i.e. unless the eggs are turned.". (I have attached the PDF file that has the entire paper and goes into further explanation).

Attachments

• 5-3-293 (1).pdf
    559.3 KB · Views: 4
I completely stopped using turners last year and began rolling my hands over all my eggs once in morning and again in late afternoon.
do you mark them to make sure you have turned each one or just leave 2 free "columns" and than just tilt and roll all of them left to right and later back?

also is the really any capacity increase with eggs on the side + space needed or roll them vs pointy end down in the turner?

Last edited:
do you mark them to make sure you have turned each one or just leave 2 free "columns" and than just tilt and roll all of them left to right and later back?
I dont mark anything besides which pen it comes from. I just lay my palms down and roll all the eggs around. I just leave enough space in bator to make sure they can easily roll. This way is zero hassle with same results.

My friend has a huge redwood incubator that can hold 300-400 eggs. He never sets that many but his is old and you have to hand turn. He taught me this method to speed things up, he also did several hatches with completely no turning or changes until lockdown and he had over 80% hatch rate each time. I like to experiment and see what works 👍

There have been times where I stacked eggs on top of each other with nothing between the egg layers and had to unload the incubator to turn each egg-what a pain.
I did not mean to stack them on top of each other, just to remove the egg turner and pack them tight sitting pointy ends on the mesh. That would spare me from building the 2nd floor (insulated frame with a mesh in between incubator lid and the bottom). But there would be no turning them than.

I did not mean to stack them on top of each other, just to remove the egg turner and pack them tight sitting pointy ends on the mesh. There would be no turning them than.
I misread your original post then too, no need to build anything if your not stacking. Id just lay them all on their sides and leave enough room to roll them around with your palms twice a day. I like to kind of move all the eggs around as much as possible so they are in a slihhtly new location every time i roll them

I misread your original post then too, no need to build anything if your not stacking. Id just lay them all on their sides and leave enough room to roll them around with your palms twice a day. I like to kind of move all the eggs around as much as possible so they are in a slihhtly new location every time i roll them
with eggs on the side it will unlikely double the capacity (which is the goal) vs. egg turner with vertical egg positioning. Thus the idea of no egg turner, still vertical egg positioning, and no turning.

Back
Top Bottom