What is killing my chickens?

Regardless, we plan on using a chicken tractor for any future grazing to have a little more control over where they are and what they are eating. I am just so curious about what was killing them.

It's a possibility but I don't know how they would have gotten exposed to it. We had some locked in the shed and we only ever used it IN the shed because that's where the rodent problem is and I'm pretty sure the mice ate all of it before we started free-ranging. We no longer use it and we don't use chemicals anywhere else on the property.

What if they were grazing on the leech field?
Ours eat on our leech field no issues. Our geese love that area because the grass grows fast.

The obvious answers are always the food. It may help for more info to narrow things.

While most chickens in general instinctively know to avoid what might kill them I have seen some people post on here because they have one curious one that ignores that. Have you gone around the areas to see what plants they had access to?

Is your yard or your neighbors yards treated with any chemicals? That can certain cause issues.

Not many people will assume water issues but where did your birds favor drinking?
While chickens can be hardy in some ways but if they drink from the wrong puddle or bucket that contains contaminants that could easily kill off quite a few. As much as you might think "I put fresh water out this morning" lets face it they drink wherever they please. I can put fresh water out right next to them and walk away and theyll go drink out of the gross goose pool thats even farther away.

While it may not be your issue but birds love insulation and metal. Any little scraps of metal, nails and staples alike are seen as food. Insulation isn't good for them either. Not sure the symptoms they could create but it's something to keep in mind.

Last but not least..

It might not hurt to look into if you have any wild bird diseases in your area. If your birds are foraging and exposed to other birds that could have put your birds at risk?

Awe, I feel so bad for you to get discouraged about them enjoying your property. It's really not that common and I bet you will find the source of the problem as you continue to investigate. It's easy to make temporary, daytime fencing to limit where they range (easier than a tractor.) I have 5 acres too, and I have a few chicken wire rolls with stakes that I stapled on + some "panels" that I built with fencing wire and horizonal fence boards. I basically divide my property in half to let them range where I want them based on season. But also to keep them from wandering to far where we dont have fencing (the River side. I don't know what they could encounter beyond our property and I've heard that neighbors have poison out.... Don't beat yourself up, you're just trying to do the right thing, they SO enjoy free-ranging.

Awe, I feel so bad for you to get discouraged about them enjoying your property. It's really not that common and I bet you will find the source of the problem as you continue to investigate. It's easy to make temporary, daytime fencing to limit where they range (easier than a tractor.) I have 5 acres too, and I have a few chicken wire rolls with stakes that I stapled on + some "panels" that I built with fencing wire and horizonal fence boards. I basically divide my property in half to let them range where I want them based on season. But also to keep them from wandering to far where we dont have fencing (the River side. I don't know what they could encounter beyond our property and I've heard that neighbors have poison out.... Don't beat yourself up, you're just trying to do the right thing, they SO enjoy free-ranging.
Impacted crops occur most often when your bird has eaten too much large and fibrous food, such as long grass.
  • A lack of droppings (poop)
  • Not laying eggs
  • Weakness
https://morningchores.com/crop-ailments-in-chickens/

I opened the crop up of one of my chickens that died unexpectedly and its gizzard was filled with pieces of broken safety glass. I found that it was laying internally, too, so I'm not 100% sure why it died.
It’s no problem for a chicken to pick up pieces of safety glas to digest their food instead of the usual grit.

It's a possibility but I don't know how they would have gotten exposed to it. We had some locked in the shed and we only ever used it IN the shed because that's where the rodent problem is and I'm pretty sure the mice ate all of it before we started free-ranging. We no longer use it and we don't use chemicals anywhere else on the property.
If the mice died of rat poison or were weakened by it, it is possible that the chickens found a few and ate them. Chickens love to eat meat. And the rat poison accumulates.
Investigations showed that many predators who died and were found on or around barns had rat toxins in their body.

But... This is SO much grass, etc. This is winter and they mowed down the "saw grass," it's just so much grass...I did my temporary fencing to keep them out of my garden but they have acres and acres of grass and woods and no problems........

View attachment 3780144
The grass is usually no problem as long as they eat the tender tips but yanking tall grass out of the ground and feeding the chickens isn't a good idea.I cut mine up with scissors when I pick them grass. Your place is absolutely heavenly! I know your chickens are very happy!

Back
Top Bottom