What Is Happening??? Water Belly or Vent Gleet???

bcmama

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
My sweet cochin...what is happening back here? It looks like a swollen testicle sack. She had poop stuck in her feathers so I gave her a spa day and let her soak in warm water for about 10 minutes. I cut away the poops and when she came out this is what she looked like. 😳 What is going on? Please help me.
IMG_3248.JPG

Last edited:
I am seeing more and more posts about something like this for some reason. I don’t know what it is, but it seems to be happening to quite a few chickens.

I am seeing more and more posts about something like this for some reason. I don’t know what it is, but it seems to be happening to quite a few chickens.
Do you know what they posted it as? I would love to see them. Thanks

It looks like either ascites or possibly a hernia. Ascites (water belly) is very common in hens who may be suffering from a reproductive disorder or cancer. How does it feel—soft and squishy, firm, or tight?

It looks like either ascites or possibly a hernia. Ascites (water belly) is very common in hens who may be suffering from a reproductive disorder or cancer. How does it feel—soft and squishy, firm, or tight?
Soft and squishy. Does water belly cause pop buildup on the feathers?

Ascites and reproductive disorders can cause a hen to be constipated due to pressure in the abdomen. This can cause stools to leak out a bit at a time.

My sweet cochin...what is happening back here? It looks like a swollen testicle sack. She had poop stuck in her feathers so I gave her a spa day and let her soak in warm water for about 10 minutes. I cut away the poops and when she came out this is what she looked like. 😳 What is going on? Please help me.
View attachment 2296259
What ever happened?

Back
Top Bottom