What is digging those holes in the coop ground!!!!!!!

littleridgefarmer

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 18, 2008
Mountains of NE Alabama
We have noticed small (1 1/2 inch in diameter) in the floor of the chicken coop - perfectly round and angled into the ground. Are these snakes or rodents?? I thought mice because we have the feed stored in the shed in barrells next to the coop but they can't get to it and the mice are smaller than the holes we are seeing. Anyone know what these holes are formed by??

Not mice, RATS. I found one the other day too. I hate them. The only way to twart them is to put 1/2 inch hardware cloth in and nail with slats to the coop its self. I have done that in two of mine and hope to get the others done soon. I put sand on top of the wire.
Also remember that it opens the way for weasels and snakes to enter the coop. Rats can do a lot of damage to chickens. Plus the fleas they can bring in. Gloria Jean

I had some that were only about an inch wide. I took the water hose and filled it till mice started running out. Needless to say, it was a chicken frenzy to see who could get the extra protein.
lau.gif

mice or rats for sure, at least I get them from the woods and have seen one in person to know for sure what it was. Smart little bugger too since the knew to dig father back from where my 18-24" hardware cloth apron was. I hope the foxes dont figure that out.

Back
Top Bottom