What in the sam hill am I looking at?

LalaBuckholtz

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2023
One of my Golden Comets laid this thing. I have 2 Golden Comets and two new Leghorns. For months now only one of the Golden Comets has been laying, whereas previous they both had been every single day. I wasn't terribly worried, otherwise they both seem quite healthy and I thought one might be nearing the end of her laying days (I bought them as adults and really have no idea how old they are).
And then while I was away for 5 days, my husband sent me a photo of this egg he found in the nest. 2 white eggs, a brown egg, and this brown blob. It had 3 points on it, very, very fragile shell, and hard but not solid lumps on the inside of the shell. The yolk also had a substantial glob on the outside. The next day there was another small round brown egg, also fragile, but less distorted and no globs on the inside. And since then we are back to one perfect brown egg a day from the other hen.....
So again I ask WHAT IN THE SAM HILL???

Attachments

• 55362.jpeg
    55362.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20240502_012008709.jpg
    PXL_20240502_012008709.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20240502_011953098.jpg
    PXL_20240502_011953098.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 8
Here's an excellent article about eggs, though yours is extreme. I honestly don't know if that's due to the old age or not.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

I'd use gloves and break them open in a dish to see what the yolk looks like.
Thanks, I did already look at that article but didn't really find anything that seemed to match the condition of my egg or my chicken.
The yolk looked pretty normal other than having a huge "meat spot". The second egg that was tiny, round, and fragile also had a normal yolk.

The 'globs' appear to be lash material, congealed pus from an infection. She may get sicker, or not.
Interesting, I'll research more on lash material, thanks. When you say infection, are you thinking anything specific, such as something confined to the reproductive tract?

One of my Golden Comets laid this thing. I have 2 Golden Comets and two new Leghorns. For months now only one of the Golden Comets has been laying, whereas previous they both had been every single day. I wasn't terribly worried, otherwise they both seem quite healthy and I thought one might be nearing the end of her laying days (I bought them as adults and really have no idea how old they are).
And then while I was away for 5 days, my husband sent me a photo of this egg he found in the nest. 2 white eggs, a brown egg, and this brown blob. It had 3 points on it, very, very fragile shell, and hard but not solid lumps on the inside of the shell. The yolk also had a substantial glob on the outside. The next day there was another small round brown egg, also fragile, but less distorted and no globs on the inside. And since then we are back to one perfect brown egg a day from the other hen.....
So again I ask WHAT IN THE SAM HILL???
it could be a calcium deficiency, or a mild case of lash. either way, I would suggest providing a bowl of oyster shell, or a dried crushed eggshell.

Interesting, I'll research more on lash material, thanks. When you say infection, are you thinking anything specific, such as something confined to the reproductive tract?
More than likely yes, in the reproductive tract.
Why the matter is in an egg, but they can be expelled outside of an egg also.
Not too uncommon with production breed birds.
Don't think it can really be treated, tho antibiotics might work.
Best to start a new thread in the 'disease' forum to get advice on that.

The 'globs' appear to be lash material, congealed pus from an infection. She may get sicker, or not.
Except that she was able to break those open and see a yolk in one and a yolk with a large meat spot in the other. I thought lash eggs were usually solid cheesy pus that you can cut open with a knife and have nothing to do with an egg; not always?

Except that she was able to break those open and see a yolk in one and a yolk with a large meat spot in the other. I thought lash eggs were usually solid cheesy pus that you can cut open with a knife and have nothing to do with an egg; not always?
An eggshell can be formed around any object traveling the oviduct, be it ascending or descending. Sometimes even on both occasions hence the egg'
-in-egg or "anything else in egg" to be found.

it could be a calcium deficiency, or a mild case of lash. either way, I would suggest providing a bowl of oyster shell, or a dried crushed eggshell.
I don't think it could be calcium deficiency. All their eggshells are super thick and they all chow down on the oyster grit every day.

Back
Top Bottom