What I am learning about feather picking and cannibalism

Thank you, Nerfy - I, too, hope you do not have any issues introducing the younger and older hens. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

And thank you, The Simple Life, for posting that info about the Flock Block. Great idea! I looked up my zip code and there are two feed stores within 20 miles that carry Purina Mills products. I will call them today and see if either has the Flock Block, or can quickly get it. Here's a link for others that may be interested http://www.poultrynutrition.com/OURPRODUCTS/Products/FlockBlock/default.aspx And here is the most interesting part of the description of Flock Block "Encourages natural pecking instincts to help reduce cannibalism". Definitely worth a try! Thanks so much for the good info.

I was a little disappointed I found a bloody quill on Duke in the afternoon yesterday - but I do take encouragement from the fact that it was only one and in the past has consistently been several. I know I can not expect to undo behavior in one day that took a couple of weeks to acquire. It is interesting to me that the blood does not seem to get everyone going. There's not much blood - just on the tip of the quill. I also search the chicken run each time after seeing a quill broken off and have never found that piece. I suspect they are eating it. Perhaps this does indicate a lack of protein in the diet? I continue to provide more protein, so maybe it will help curb this apparent appetite for feathers. It still just baffles me that it's only Duke they do this to. It seems to be a habit from that perspective.

The bottom line is that I believe it may be a number of factors that contribute to this feather plucking - and this makes it a little difficult to come up with a single solution. I think it may take a number of things to solve it - more protein in the diet, more things to keep them busy while in the run to break this bad habit, and the ability to free range. I'll continue to post anything new that I learn.

I let everyone out of the coop at 7AM - Duke's tail feathers looked just fine. I turned them out to free range right away. Let's hope this is a good day for poor Duke.

Penny

I hope it all works out well for you, it sure won't be for lack of trying on your part.
I meant to post the link to Purina for you, but after I pasted the information in about the block I forgot, glad you found it though.
Good luck with everything, let us know how it all works out.

Duke did, indeed, have a good day. I checked him several times through out the day, and no bleeding quills! I did not see one hen peck at him all day. Although I've not noticed him acting weak through out this ordeal, I must say he seemed especially on top of his game today. He asserted his position in charge of the flock over Bobby Lee more often than I've seen in a long while. He did not take any crap off anyone all day. He also seemed especially attentive of the hens - calling them over when he found a nice juicy insect or any sort of treat.

Duke is everything I always wished for in a rooster. He's strong, gentle, big, protective, and good looking. I'm really cautiously optimistic that things are taking a turn for the better.

Thanks to The Simple Life, I found a local Purina Mills dealer about 25 miles away. I went there this afternoon and purchased two of the flock blocks, a 50 pound bag of Sunflower Oil Seeds, and a 50 pound bag of Layena crumbles. MissPrissy and others have spoken highly about the Layena, so I was happy to find it.

By the way, a couple of the studies I read said that cannibalism was more common with flocks that ate pellets instead of crumbles. I have no clue why that would be. I have always fed my flock crumbles though - and for no particular reason. I only mention it in case there is someone that thinks this may be significant.

So far, so good. We've still got a long road ahead of us, but I am very hopeful that we are on our way to breaking this feather picking habit. I went out to the coop a few minutes ago to tuck everyone in and did a head count. Everyone made it in on their own tonight. I even got an egg today - in the coop. I was worried I would have to search the woods for eggs after letting them free range all day. I still do scan through the woods before tucking the chickens in - to look for strays and to check for eggs.

Like I said, I am cautiously optimistic. More tomorrow.....

Penny

I am really glad that today went so well, hopefully its the turning point you need.
I also use the Purina layer crumbles and prefer them over the pellets.
Interesting fact there about the pellets possibly being more of a problem.
I think they have to peck alot more to eat the crumbles since they are alot smaller and it takes more pecking to eat and satisfy their hunger compared to eating a few pellets.
I wonder if that is the difference there, it satisfies their pecking urge more.
That is a good bit of information to have.
I am glad that you found the blocks as well, great for you.
I hope for your continued success.

Thanks Basicliving, I may need it, the older ones can be such lil wenches.
I really like the idea of the flock block. Thanks the simple life.
I will be getting one or two.

The store I went to only had 2 of the flock blocks, and I got them both. I would have liked to have purchased at least 3 of them. But I guess 2 is really good enough and I'll be able to judge how they react to them. My flock tends to be very suspicious of anything new that is introduced into the coop or run - they usually stand around and scream at it a while before pecking at or eating it.

I put one flock block inside the coop. Mainly to get them used to it being there. They typically only go inside to sleep and eat during the day- and I let them out as soon as dawn begins to crack. My concern is that we are going out of town for a long weekend in 2 weeks - and the gal that looks after them while we're gone doesn't let them out until later in the AM. I'm hoping having the flock block in there will help relieve their boredom for a little while until she opens the coop door for them. I'll also tell her to sprinkle around some sunflower oil seeds through out the coop at night so they'll have it there in the morning.

The 2nd flock block will go into their run while we are gone. They won't be free ranging while we're away. Mainly because no one will be around should something get after them, and also because the gal watching them wouldn't know how to handle it if one or two decided to roost in a tree and not go into the coop by themselves at night. It's just too much to expect her to be able to handle - she's never had chickens. She loves mine and does a great job making sure they have water and food and are let into the run during the day, and are locked up at night, but that' about the extent of her comfort level.

Hopefully we'll have this under control by the time we leave. I hate leaving them, especially given current events, but my father is ill and we need to go see him. It'll be for 3 full days - hopefully we won't lose ground over that short period of time.

By the way, they LOVE the sunflower oil seeds! The ingredients say it has no less than 16% protein, so I'm happy they're getting a nice treat that helps add a little protein.

I've noticed that since they've been free ranging, their food bucket does not need refilling nearly as often as before. I typically have to refill it with 20 lbs of food every 3 days. It's still 3/4 full on the 3rd day of free ranging. I did put food and water dishes in the run - right next to the gate - in case they didn't want to go into the coop for food/water. I think they liked the novelty of it and spent a few minutes eating and drinking like they'd never been fed before. But that quickly ended and they headed back out to eat bugs in the yard. It's there if they want it.

I'll be heading out soon to let them begin their free ranging day. Daylight is sure getting later and later......

Let's hope Duke has another good day!

Penny

Free ranging definitely does cut back on their feed bill a little.
You can also have your local feed store order the flock blocks for you ahead of time if you like. I know mine will get in anything that I ask for.
Here is hoping for another great day!!

Thank you for all your support, The Simple Life. I really do feel free ranging is the way to go, I've just always been so concerned my chickens would get eaten by predators. But like I said, I can deal with losing them to predators a lot easier than I can deal with watching them peck each other to death. I must say, it is really fun to look out my window and see them frolicking around in the yard, scratching through the leaves, and monkeying around with each other. Even though it's chilly here and we have the wood stove burning, I keep my office window cracked so I can hear any noise they make and run out there if they sound an alert. Unfortunately, my hamburgs have an annoying habit of wandering off alone and then screaming bloody murder if they look up and don't see anyone around
roll.png
I've told every one of them the story of the little boy that cried "wolf" - but they don't pay any attention
wink.png

I'll call the feed store today and ask that they order a few more of the flock blocks for me. Thanks again for such a great idea!

Take care,
Penny

Another good day. Yay! I saw no evidence of feather plucking when I checked Duke a short while ago. They all just went to bed and I tucked them in. Whew. We *may* have turned the corner on this issue. I'll give it a few more days before I declare victory......

The free ranging is going so well. They seem to really love chickening around the yard. They typically run out to greet me when I go outside and the Spanish's still jump up on my shoulder. The 2 hens that are laying still go inside the coop to leave our breakfast. And best of all, Duke isn't getting his feather pecked off. I'm really pleased with the results of free ranging and the additional protein. The Hot Pick and Avian 2000 that I ordered aren't here yet - I'll still use them, but I'm thinking the free ranging is the ticket.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom