what gender is this

lovesfarms

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 6, 2016
Dauphin county, pa

So Goldie is 4 1/2 weeks old. I think s/he knew I was posting this picture cause try as I might, the tail always came on first. For a long time I thought she was a pullet because she feathered very young. Actually the first one with a long tail! But she turned on me and got a red comb and wattles. Am I confused or is she? A couple days ago I found her and another chick both bleeding. First I thought it was rats...then..were the two fighting with another rooster. Or were the two bleeding chicks pullets and fighting among the two of themselves? I'm trying to figure out if I have two many roosters...out of 8 chicks?

Photo isn't very clear. I agree you should wait a few weeks and post new ones. It's good to have a clear head shot showing comb development, and also a standing, natural profile in good lighting.

My birds are forever on the go. Either flying, jumping or preening themselves. As soon as I sit on the ground to get close up they take turns jumping on my lap and then go flying again. I can call chick, chick and they all come running to see if I have a treat, jump in my lap and go flying again! It is rare to get a good standing pose

Can I get some help here to see if I have roosters? I have five chickens. Two of them always fight. I'm not sure how old they are.

I started this when Goldie my gold laced wyandotte was 4 1/2 weeks old. Back then I was hoping for a lady. But he proved me wrong last week at 10 weeks old when he crowed.The other rooster crowed for the second time.He first crowed at 8 weeks old. I was opening their house real early in the dark so they could go out later in the day.I would be gone all day. I usually turn on the outside light and they see me coming. This time I was in a hurry and just grabbed a flashlight. They mustve thought Im a predator. They crowed so many times I was shocked to hear it and I shone my flashlight to see which ones are crowing and it set off a real frenzy. Thay havnt crowed since but sure doent trust me anymore! Goldie stamps his feet at me and jumped on my back. When I want to clean their house he'll sit between me and the door! I think he even told the pullets Im a danger because they keep their distance from me! They wont even eat clover from my hands anymore. The other rooster only crowed when I startled him early in the morning so Im thinking its a danger signal to protect the ladies. I will get some more pictures. Has anyone else had roosters thet only crow when in danger or startled?

Back
Top Bottom