What does cocidiosis actually look like?

Bpohlmann93

Chirping
Jan 9, 2024
How do I know if I'm dealing with a hen with cocidiosis, or liver issues? All the information I've found so far seems to coincide with both. Her comb and such is paler than normal. Her feathers are so dull. And she's definitely not feeling well. She's got more liquid when she goes to the bathroom than normal. I think it's Called polyuria? And she has diarrhea. She's had that since yesterday. But today there was blood in it. So now I'm thinking cocidiosis maybe? In the pictures her comb and stuff look very bright. But they are paler than normal. Any advice would be appreciated. Also is she suffering? Or savable?

I think it's Called polyuria? And she has diarrhea. She's had that since yesterday. But today there was blood in it. So now I'm thinking cocidiosis maybe?
All pee passes with droppings.. and get more in hot weather.. what is your temps? What other symptoms are you seeing? Have you ever wormed?

Do you have a picture.. some shed intestinal lining may appear similar to blood.. but coccidiosis blood is a LOT.. and only 1 or 2 of the 9-11 strains known to effect poultry *may* appear as blood in droppings, and not every dropping even then.

Is she still eating and drinking? What is her age, breed, and feed routine including treats and supplements? When was her last egg? Are you in the US?

Is she staying with her flock or separating herself? What you describe so far.., doesn't constitute "suffering". But let's see if we can help you assess the situation. :fl

ETA: coccidiosis often looks like a bird standing around with feathers puffed up, head and neck pulled in toward the chest and little to no appetite or drinking. If veterinary fecal float is an option then it's easy to find out if the "load" is too heavy for her immune system.. since coccidia are always present.. and "osis" in the instance of coccidiosis indicates an overgrowth of their population.

Last edited:
Can you tell us how old the hen is, if she is laying eggs, and perhaps post photos of her poop and herself as she looks? Is she eating or drinking? Hens don’t pee, but pass uric acid crystals in the droppings (ie-the white cap.) Coccidiosis is possible in a run down sick chicken, but it is most common in young chickens 3-12 weeks old. Many vets will check a fecal float on some fresh droppings brought in.

This is like alot of pee. I seperated her. She was running around acting normal yesterday. But since I'm not sure what's going on with her I chose to seperate her, since her poop was on and off liquid and she hasn't been laying. And she's had alot of poop on her butt which also isn't normal for her. She had normalish droppings yesterday on and off/ then some weird yellow/ tanish ones, but then today there were droppings and mostly water. She seems to be drinking alottt. And now just kinda a little bit here and there. I gave her some milk thistle and poultry cell. She's now kind of wheezing a little it sounds like. I will attach pictures of the one bloody poop She had. And some of the other ones I wadded up on the puppy pads. I've changed her puppy pads 4 times today already.

This was the one bloody one she had.

Attachments

• 20240321_080529.jpg
    20240321_080529.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 10
The last pad I changed. They've all been like this though. She sounds awful. Amd so weezy. :( idk how to help her. She's not really all puffed up. Or anything.

Attachments

• 20240321_123125.jpg
    20240321_123125.jpg
    618.7 KB · Views: 9
This is her now. She wants to be active and moving around.

Attachments

• 20240321_123741.jpg
    20240321_123741.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240321_123730.jpg
    20240321_123730.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom