What does -bar mean in chicken breeds?

PotatoChicken

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Idaho
I was just wondering if anyone knew what bar means. Like welbar, legbar and i cant think of any other but you get it.
idunno.gif

I was just wondering if anyone knew what bar means. Like welbar, legbar and i cant think of any other but you get it.
idunno.gif

All of these are auto-sexing types that can be sexed at hatch by color, the bar at the end of the title is a reference to having Barred or Barring genes introduced into the cross(s) usually from the influence of having Barred rock in the mix/bloodline Welbar=WellsummerxBarred rock, Legbar=LeghornxBarred rock, Hampbar=New HampshirexBarred rock, Rhodebar....ect oK
smile.png

Jeff

Last edited:
What many people do not realize is that all of these -bars are not pure breeds, they are hybrids. They are not as common in the US. The British Poultry Club does have Standards for a lot of them, which is kind of an oxymoron. Some of these hybrids have been used in the US for decades, known simply as sex-links. Auto sexing was clearly defined above, types that can be sexed at hatch by color, aka, sex-links.

Autosexing breeds are a breed they do breed true.... I have been breeding Hampbars for a few years and my males and females look and breed the same.... I do not know where you got your info..... a hybrid like a sex link does not breed true.... a black sex link doesn't breed true.... and can't... most black sex links are Rhode Island Reds over Barred Rocks... the males are barred the females are mostly black and have some red in the breast.... My Hampbars are a breed .. Like produces Like....

http://autosexing-poultry.co.uk/wordpress/

http://www.hpbaa.com/Hampbars.html

Have a great one....

There are plenty of -bar breeds that are not terminal crosses or hybrids. They were originally developed by crossing certain breeds, which is where they got their name, but they've bred true for many generations. The Legbar is a good example. You breed Legbar to Legbar, you get Legbar.

In the UK they use the term "Cotswold Legbar" like we do Easter Egger - it means a blue or green egg layer with indeterminate ancestry. But a Cream or Gold Legbar is a purebred, at least as pure as chickens ever are.

Cambars (originally Campine-Barred), Brussbar (Sussex-Barred), etc., are all purebred chickens. They use the down color of a typical barred breed to make the chicks autosexing, but they are NOT sexlinks. ALL of their chicks are barred, not just the males.

Sexlink chicks are a mix of two different colors and sometimes two different breeds, they're terminal crosses, and they don't breed true. Sexlink breeders sometimes use barring to show a difference in chick down, but they also often use silver dominance.

So - Rhode Island x Barred Rock = sexlink (black star or production black; hens are black copper and roosters are barred)
Rhode Island x Light Sussex = sexlink (red star or production red, hens are red and roosters are silver)

Rhode Island x Barred Rock x Sussex fifty years ago, then bred together since then = Purebred Rhodebar. All of them are barred, all are roughly the same color as adults, but the barring influence on the chick down makes the males' colors look soft and washed out and the females' looks sharp and lined.

There are plenty of -bar breeds that are not terminal crosses or hybrids. They were originally developed by crossing certain breeds, which is where they got their name, but they've bred true for many generations. The Legbar is a good example. You breed Legbar to Legbar, you get Legbar.

In the UK they use the term "Cotswold Legbar" like we do Easter Egger - it means a blue or green egg layer with indeterminate ancestry. But a Cream or Gold Legbar is a purebred, at least as pure as chickens ever are.

Cambars (originally Campine-Barred), Brussbar (Sussex-Barred), etc., are all purebred chickens. They use the down color of a typical barred breed to make the chicks autosexing, but they are NOT sexlinks. ALL of their chicks are barred, not just the males.

Sexlink chicks are a mix of two different colors and sometimes two different breeds, they're terminal crosses, and they don't breed true. Sexlink breeders sometimes use barring to show a difference in chick down, but they also often use silver dominance.

So - Rhode Island x Barred Rock = sexlink (black star or production black; hens are black copper and roosters are barred)
Rhode Island x Light Sussex = sexlink (red star or production red, hens are red and roosters are silver)

Rhode Island x Barred Rock x Sussex fifty years ago, then bred together since then = Purebred Rhodebar. All of them are barred, all are roughly the same color as adults, but the barring influence on the chick down makes the males' colors look soft and washed out and the females' looks sharp and lined.
I agree with the post with the exception of the one phrase (in bold above) not sexlinkable. Barring is a sex-link trait it is what makes them a different color at hatch, big head spot, no head spot ,blurry, marked clear, maked however you want to describe it, red, buff, silver, or gold barring is a sexable characteristic.

Jeff

Last edited:
Autosexing breeds are a breed they do breed true.... I have been breeding Hampbars for a few years and my males and females look and breed the same.... I do not know where you got your info..... a hybrid like a sex link does not breed true.... a black sex link doesn't breed true.... and can't... most black sex links are Rhode Island Reds over Barred Rocks... the males are barred the females are mostly black and have some red in the breast.... My Hampbars are a breed .. Like produces Like....

http://autosexing-poultry.co.uk/wordpress/

http://www.hpbaa.com/Hampbars.html

Have a great one....
The Auto-sex breed may be bred to breed true BUT over time they do loose that ability, so out crossing is need to improve color and ability to sex them at day one.
It is much the same as most Crele patterns fowl.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom