what does a pacing chicken mean?

carolinachicken

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Lancaster, SC
our chicken, along with charging the chicks, is pacing back and forth along the coop fenceline. does that mean that she wants to go out of the coop?
does she want to go 'carousing'?? hee, hee..
she paces really 'angrily'. not relaxed at all.

thanks for you help!!
:)>)=

Some of our pullets do pace when they have to lay an egg and their favorite spot is being used. We have 16 girls and 8 nest boxes - so go figure!
hmm.png

Could it be her favorite nesting place is somewhere in the yard?

that sounds just about right!

she laid her eggs in the front yard so maybe she wants to do it again!

also, i'm afraid we haven't made them proper nesting boxes yet. (another weekend project!)

thanks for all of your help keljonma!
we need it... :)>)=

A nesting box doesn't have to complicated. It can be a cardboard box or one of those organizer crates with some bedding it in.

It might be better to set one up quickly, since you said she is already laying eggs again. Put a golf ball or rock or fake egg in it and she'll see that it is a "good spot" for laying eggs.

Since she's your only layer, there won't be any competition for the nest and you'll always be able to find the eggs.

Good luck!

Well, if her eggs were fertile and she hatched out some chicks, maybe she wants to get back to her rooster. Wherever he may be. Do you see or hear any roosters around your place?

My nest box is the old box for my Sony Trinitron monitor.

I cut the top off, and then cut a hole on one of the sides for easy access to walk in.

It was originally a nest box for a moma cat I took in, and once she was done, I filled it with hay and my chickens took it up.

My hens pace up and down the nursery pen and it has meant that she wants to get out to have a dirt bath, she usually takes the littlies along as well to show them how. I stay and guard them from predators.
Have you tried to let her out to see what she wants.
I always find it fascinating to watch their behaviours.

Pacing in my girls almost always means that they want to lay an egg, although "I want out" is also a reason to pace. The difference is pretty obvious. When they pace to get out, they're pretty quiet. When they need to lay an egg and they're stuck in the tractor I sometimes put them in, they're pretty vocal about it. They actually grunt.
lol.png

well, the rooster lives across the way so if she wants 'a man'
smile.png
then i say go for it!

it's strange to me that she is not nice at all to the young ones. and now the young ones all huddle together in a corner while she's pacing.

i find it more bewildering than fascinating though. dogs i get. chickens are totally different!

we let them out and they love it! though the mother stays in our yard so far.

thanks!
:)>)=

Back
Top Bottom