What do you feed?

ncflowerpower

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 18, 2007
I was just reading a post and some said that they don't feed scratch.

I feed scratch, whole corn, lay pellets every day, is this not what I should be feeding? We aren't getting very many eggs and I was wondering if it was the corn?

What do you feed?

Donna

For the layers I feed layer pellets. I definately don't feed corn this time of year as it produces heat in their systems, which is why I do feed it in cold winter months. I give some scratch as treats but not much of that even because of the corn content. I don't know if the corn has anything to do with a slow down in laying or if your birds are just preparing to molt.

I have lay mash (with DE mixed in) available at all times as well as fresh water. In the morning they are also fed a flake of alfalfa hay and in the evening I throw out 1-2 cups of scratch to 70+ chickens. This works well for us.

My layers get layer pellets, a little scratch, and kitchen scraps and oyster shell. Extra protein if molting.
My show birds get game bird feed.
My chicks are on medicated starter.
My ducklings and goslings get a mix of Mazuri waterfowl starter, flock raiser, and game bird feed (for the extra niacin).
My juvenile ducks and geese get the same as the babies plus red wheat and whole oats and grit.
My adult ducks and geese get the same except Mazuri maintenance feed instead of starter.
All ages of ducks and geese are free ranged during the day and fed at night when they put themselves into their pens. (The babies are only outside when a person or a goose is there to watch over them)
The layer chickens get free ranged when Im not mad at them for tearing up my ground covers. LOL
The free range bunny eats what ever he likes out of the poultry feeders and gets a hand full of what ever is in the feed bucket that Im carrying when he runs up to me. He likes wheat and corn the most but we saw him chowing down in the goose feeder this afternoon. During the summer when the pasture is dry, my dd puts out alfalfa pellets for the bunny and the geese plus they graze on the irrigated lawn. Sometimes I will trade a silkie cull for several huge boxes of greens at the farmers market, to supplement the geese.

chel

I feed my girls a combo of sunflower seeds, field peas, millet, wheat, oats, cracked corn, kelp, oyster shell, bran and DE. They also get kitchen scraps, extra eggs fed back to them, and they free range 5-6 hours a day during non snow days.

Thank you for all your replys. I didn't know about the corn and the heat and all. I'm gonna try just lay pellets and a little scratch.

We do feed lots of kitchen scraps, egg shells, and free range time almost every day.

I don't know if my girls are going to molt, they are young about 11 months old but had been laying quite a few eggs and lately not as many. I'm blaming the corn.
smile.png

Thanks again, Donna

Momma-hen

Where do you buy all those items you feed? Do you buy them all separately or is it a mix?

Thanks!

Lesli

Back
Top Bottom