What do rotten eggs look like when you candle them? Like this?

LTygress, would you be able to help me with my egg candling? I have some week old eggs that I got from a friend down the street and some look like what I expected and some look totally different. I have spent hours apon hours combing this site and others trying to determine if my eggs are viable or not. I'll post pics. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

In the next to the last pic, which is very dark, only half has light showing through it. It has a line that almost dissects the egg midway and half is dark and half will allow light to show through it. Kind of like the dark side of the moon. Lol. I'm especially worried about this egg being dead. I've never done this before and I'm worried about an egg exploding like people talk about. All of these eggs are in a nesting box sitting under my Broody hen.
Thanks!
Rhonda

First time hatcher ok my eggs have been incubating for 5 days and I candled them and and they are dark on top and clear on bottom so what does that mean. ARE THEY ROTTEN

I got some duck eggs from my mom and it was obvious that one or more were rotten. I took out the two that smelt the worst but could lightly smell bad egg on all of the others. It was immediately obvious good eggs from bad. ]I couldn't find a pic of a rotten egg being candeled so this is what it looked like.
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom