What dissolves vent gleet "cement"

PopoMyers

Free Ranging
Aug 19, 2020
Kitsap, WA
My hen had a prolapsed vent and the vent gleet. What is the best solvent for the dried glue+cement like residue near her vent on her feathers, and for the feathers below which are not returning to fluffy, but seem there's maybe greasy residue from the Preparation H mixed with the discharge glue. The newer Dawn dish liquid I am hesitant to use, because it seems so much stronger, and it dries even my skin out. I don't want to irritate her recently irritates tissues. Her issues seem resolved as of this morning.

My hen had a prolapsed vent and the vent gleet. What is the best solvent for the dried glue+cement like residue near her vent on her feathers, and for the feathers below which are not returning to fluffy, but seem there's maybe greasy residue from the Preparation H mixed with the discharge glue. The newer Dawn dish liquid I am hesitant to use, because it seems so much stronger, and it dries even my skin out. I don't want to irritate her recently irritates tissues. Her issues seem resolved as of this morning.
It just takes long warm soaks in epsom salt solution and lot of patience to peel it off. Please bear in mind that her internal tissue is still inflamed and likely scarred. That prevents the hen from being able to pass her eggs. I lost my hen because of this. I had to break 3 eggs just inside the vent to get them out then she'd get plugged up with poop. I euthanized her.

It just takes long warm soaks in epsom salt solution and lot of patience to peel it off. Please bear in mind that her internal tissue is still inflamed and likely scarred. That prevents the hen from being able to pass her eggs. I lost my hen because of this. I had to break 3 eggs just inside the vent to get them out then she'd get plugged up with poop. I euthanized her.
She is pooping like a machine! Her prolapse did not prevent her laying a few eggs the first week, managed to prevent that since last week. It is the outside stuff stuck to her feathers. Her skin is clean. She did have the crusty, scabby, poop colored on her prolapsed tissues, but they have diminished and have sloughed off gradually. So sorry about your hen. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
She is pooping like a machine! Her prolapse did not prevent her laying a few eggs the first week, managed to prevent that since last week. It is the outside stuff stuck to her feathers. Her skin is clean. She did have the crusty, scabby, poop colored on her prolapsed tissues, but they have diminished and have slouched off gradually. So sorry about your hen. Thanks for your reply.
I'm following this. While I don't own chickens, one of my ducks has had a persistent (though not serious) prolapse issue for the last 5 weeks. We have done it all - ACV, warm epsom salt soaks, separating her from the males, calcium gluconate, etc. and even given Meloxicam 2x/day for the last month. Nothing seems to be helping. I'm honestly considering euthanizing her because I know it is uncomfortable and the avian vet feels things are at that point.

I'm following this. While I don't own chickens, one of my ducks has had a persistent (though not serious) prolapse issue for the last 5 weeks. We have done it all - ACV, warm epsom salt soaks, separating her from the males, calcium gluconate, etc. and even given Meloxicam 2x/day for the last month. Nothing seems to be helping. I'm honestly considering euthanizing her because I know it is uncomfortable and the avian vet feels things are at that point.
Have you tried Preparation H? Is she laying? Here's what worked for my hen. Of course, all patients are different.
1. Epsom salt baths/ soak
2. Meloxicam, 1 mg/ kg, 2x day
3. Preparation H, 2x day after cleaning
4. Prevent laying by keeping in darkened area, change feed to non layer feed. Less protein, like corn, lettuce, ( not sure what works for ducks)
5. I gave her Tums. Calcium citrate. About 600 mg., 1x day
I also used a spray similar to vetericyn to clean and kill bacteria.

So sorry to hear about your duck. Hopefully something here works. I know how tiring and stressful this is for the both of you.

Have you tried Preparation H? Is she laying? Here's what worked for my hen. Of course, all patients are different.
1. Epsom salt baths/ soak
2. Meloxicam, 1 mg/ kg, 2x day
3. Preparation H, 2x day after cleaning
4. Prevent laying by keeping in darkened area, change feed to non layer feed. Less protein, like corn, lettuce, ( not sure what works for ducks)
5. I gave her Tums. Calcium citrate. About 600 mg., 1x day
I also used a spray similar to vetericyn to clean and kill bacteria.

So sorry to hear about your duck. Hopefully something here works. I know how tiring and stressful this is for the both of you.
Not trying to hijack the thread but, we have not yet tried Preparation H. We have done epsom salt soaks, meloxicam (going on 35 days), a calm and private nesting/sleeping area still close to the others, Thank you for the recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom