What did you do in the garden today?

Some of the sets I planted last year
20230413_172211.jpg

The onions I was harvesting from those
20230711_195038.jpg

Some of the onions I got
20230803_132705.jpg

Delicious meal with fresh harvest. Can't wait for more harvest to table cooking.
20230729_171027.jpg

Welcome to the party! I can hardly wait for you to share pictures!

This is my first year growing potatoes as well; growing them on accident from peels that were in my compost bin. There's 3 of them in my cucumber/tomatillo/Bell pepper bed. My husband is very excited as he loves potatoes. 🥴 Hopefully it isn't a huge letdown. 🤣 I will be planting potatoes on purpose next March!

I'll be starting onions from seed in August. I previously used sets, and starts. Not happy with sets performance/variety, and the starts were just a pain since they were planted so densely in the cells it took me about an hour to separate all of them. 😂 I've always done green onions from seed so, it's time to seed all of the varieties.

I grow most things from seed. Next year I'm going to invest money into a better seed starting process, finally stop using the kitchen table...and floor/chairs, and add seed heat mats so my peppers will be happier. I've been taking over the dining area for years.... But now we eat at the table routinely
My mom composted by digging holes in her garden and burying peelings. We also had "volunteer" potato plants!

Alright here's them pictures. :) I have some supports I need to build yet for some of these tomatoes. I'm basically out of room back here for any more plant nonsense lol.View attachment 3837415View attachment 3837416excuse me. I'm taking photos. Worship my feet later, ladies. View attachment 3837417View attachment 3837418View attachment 3837419View attachment 3837420View attachment 3837421View attachment 3837422View attachment 3837423
Do the side panels on your tomato bed come off for access?

My rattlesnake beans, butternut and zucchini squash seeds are coming up in spite of the cool weather. @fuzzi , nice looking peas and squash. Do your squash do better when trained to grow up stakes? I'm thinking about trying that with my zukes this year.
I started staking them last year after I read about wrapping the stalk from below the soil surface and up about a foot to deter borers, and the staking is part of the process. We have squash vine borers so bad here that I only get a few squash before all my vines die. Slicing the stalk to remove the borers is like shoveling against the tide, I won't use poison, and the one year I tried injecting BT it helped, but I got mediocre yields. So wrapping and staking the MAIN stalk, and pruning back the foliage is the way to go for me.

I started staking them last year after I read about wrapping the stalk from below the soil surface and up about a foot to deter borers, and the staking is part of the process. We have squash vine borers so bad here that I only get a few squash before all my vines die. Slicing the stalk to remove the borers is like shoveling against the tide, I won't use poison, and the one year I tried injecting BT it helped, but I got mediocre yields. So wrapping and staking the MAIN stalk, and pruning back the foliage is the way to go for me.
Last year I tried row covers. They got septoria and powdery mildew. :( no bugs. Just disease.

Back
Top Bottom