What did you do in the garden today?

Pull the trigger if you can manage it, is all I have to say. I was waiting for the price to drop, which it hasn't in 10 years. AND I was waiting for the pump technology to improve, which it did by leaps and bounds.
I also wanted to see one in person, which is easy now as many hardware big box carry them, as well as tractor stores.

AND now there are a LOT of people, and therefor YouTube, channels out there with people that are doing the experimenting for me.
I get my next bonus on 6/15. I will most likely break down and buy one with it.

IMG_20240516_172526024_HDR~2.jpg

Summer squash leaf

IMG_20240516_172504985~2.jpg

I need to prune and wrap and tie some more, hopefully tomorrow.

I started up a batch of weed tea fertilizer this morning. I dug up a variety of weeds with roots attached, lightly smashed the roots and leaves, put them in a bucket and covered with water.

It needs to soak/ferment for a week or two before it's ready to be diluted and used as fertilizer for the garden.

https://www.almanac.com/fertilizer-tea-plants-weeds-and-grass

I gave my last three cherry tomato plants to my neighbor yesterday, then gave her a tour of my garden. Glad those plants found a home.
The weed tea fertilizer I started last Sunday has been fermenting the last few days. Lots of bubbles in the bucket. All that wild yeast and bacteria is gettin' down to business!

IMG_4159.JPG

IMG_4157.JPG

I watched a good video on YouTube about rehydration and what's good or what doesn't rehydrate well. Would love your 2 cents as you experiment...
I've done cooked eggs, and I'll never do them again.
Raw eggs will be done the next time I have a load of eggs to do. I understand those rehydrate beautifully and make great egg products and go into baked goods well. (I will let you know.)
I also have not done meat yet. I'll also let you know when I do.
I used the uncooked French toast sticks as a base for bread pudding, OMG SO GOOD.
Everything else so far has been made to be eaten dry and not rehydrated.
OH WAIT, no I forgot, the Cincinnati chili and cheese. That was OUTSTANDING.
The tomato soup was incredible.
I also want to do sausage biscuit and gravy, to be rehydrated at camp.

@TJAnonymous make sure you have a place to put it before you buy one.
The medium, and I think the large, need their own 15Amp, with nothing else running on it-20Amp is even better, but most don't have those kicking back, relaxing in disuse.
AND the room, when it's running needs to stay below 72'F.
Those two things are tripping people up.
I have purchased a second set of pans, a disc insulator pad for the door, and a set of pan risers for freezing things first in the large house freezer first. They allow you to stack the pans, which also makes them easier to carry from point A to B.

@TJAnonymous make sure you have a place to put it before you buy one.
The medium, and I think the large, need their own 15Amp, with nothing else running on it-20Amp is even better, but most don't have those kicking back, relaxing in disuse.
AND the room, when it's running needs to stay below 72'F.
Those two things are tripping people up.
I have purchased a second set of pans, a disc insulator pad for the door, and a set of pan risers for freezing things first in the large house freezer first. They allow you to stack the pans, which also makes them easier to carry from point A to B.
Hmmm, that's REALLY good to know. I was thinking about putting it either in my gardening shed, garage, or sun room. None of those are below 72 degrees in the summer... And a dedicated circuit is also not ideal although I could probably make it work.

Back
Top Bottom