What did you do in the garden today?

I believe only the French marigolds deter nematodes if you do givea try. try.
How do you know if the Marilgolds are French?
I saved seeds from last year's flowers & they ain't talkin'
Well, they germinated in my yard but I guess small Marigold flowers are French?

I found this...
What's the difference between a French marigold and a regular marigold?

The two main species grown in home gardens are the French marigold (Tagetes patula) and the African marigold (Tagetes erecta). French marigolds are more compact in stature, with smaller flowers. African marigolds are much larger, with blooms up to 4 inches across. Marigold leaves are finely cut and fernlike. Jan 19, 2021

I've loved Marigolds since childhood. Well, I learned something today. 😊

https://www.americanmeadows.com/content/wildflower-seeds/marigold-seeds/all-about-marigolds
Screenshot_20240403_160151_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
How do you know if the Marilgolds are French?
I saved seeds from last year's flowers & they ain't talkin'
Well, they germinated in my yard but I guess small Marigold flowers are French?

I found this...
What's the difference between a French marigold and a regular marigold?

The two main species grown in home gardens are the French marigold (Tagetes patula) and the African marigold (Tagetes erecta). French marigolds are more compact in stature, with smaller flowers. African marigolds are much larger, with blooms up to 4 inches across. Marigold leaves are finely cut and fernlike. Jan 19, 2021

I've loved Marigolds since childhood. Well, I learned something today. 😊

https://www.americanmeadows.com/content/wildflower-seeds/marigold-seeds/all-about-marigolds
View attachment 3790550
I've only grown African before. They are larger plants and larger flowers for sure. I had marigolds well over 3ft tall. They both have a pungent odor that is supposed to help deter pests. Not sure I'm convinced though as voles had holes right next to my marigold plants before.

I tossed together some open frame boxes to cover my new strawberry plants. I'll cover them with hardware cloth later to keep birds, squirrels, rabbits, etc. away from the future berries. Designed the boxes only 16 inches tall and with tops I can lift off in order to pick berries. Should be enough to cover the plants, but still allow even the kids to reach in for berries.

I tossed together some open frame boxes to cover my new strawberry plants. I'll cover them with hardware cloth later to keep birds, squirrels, rabbits, etc. away from the future berries. Designed the boxes only 16 inches tall and with tops I can lift off in order to pick berries. Should be enough to cover the plants, but still allow even the kids to reach in for berries.
Some people say early red rocks gets the strawberry thieves discouraged

Some people say early red rocks gets the strawberry thieves discouraged
Interesting idea. I really need a way to keep the squirrels out. The dug up some onions and strawberry crowns we just planted yesterday. I replanted them, but some of the crowns looked damaged. Looks like I'm missing a few pea plants too - my guy tells me squirrels dug up the peas before they even sprouted. I might try a bunch of plastic windmills from the dollar store. Not interested in trying chemical odor deterants. In mild weather windchimes seem to help too, but it's too windy too often this time of year.

Funny, I just painted a bunch of little rocks red & put them in with the strawberries. & I also stopped & got a million little garden spinners to deter the critters (& to possibly work as stakes if needed). I have never tried either, but we shall see!

ETA: pic of strawberry planter with painted rocks...
IMG_20240403_175554347.jpg

Last edited:
I used Prism Kale instead of lettuce on my baked Gordan's beer batter fish burger with tartar sauce. My Kratky Prism Kale has a soft texture and can be eaten raw on sandwiches or salad.

I am really getting into these frozen Gordan's beer battered pre fried fish. I am going to load up on them the next time I go shopping at my Local Walmart. I wonder if Costco has anything comparable or carry them?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom