What did you do in the garden today?

Does anyone here grow celery? I've got a bunch started but have never grown it. Any tips? Trying to figure how many per pocket. I'm guessing it won't look quite like the celery from the store?
I grow it every year since we got the rabbits, they love the stuff, even though my homegrown celery is bitter and terrible. I love the storebought celery, I use a lot of it for soups and stocks. DP even likes it when I put cream cheese or peanut butter on it and she hates celery. I also add it to chicken salad and some of the Chinese food I make.
I can't bring myself to eat celery... It's a texture thing. It's like eating hair.
OMG that just made my skin crawl. :lau

I didn't get anything planted today but I did get one of the beds completely cleaned up and cut back the monarda and oregano. Watered all the seedlings with rainwater and put mosquito dunks in the big barrels. I found a giant black spider in a bucket in the coop and gave it to the chickens. It totally creaped me out. Oh and DP was cleaning out a trap and touched something small and soft. It was a black widow. :eek:

I got D'Elne - it's supposed to be sweet(ish). It has a shorter time to harvest & is frost tolerant. I love celery, I hope it's good. I should have started it earlier but the good ole USPS lost my first order. If it sucks I'm sure the chickens will enjoy it!

It's just so funny to me, I thought everyone just liked celery. This has been eye opening - that I like something that most don't! I'm like the pickiest person on earth. :gig I did hate it when I was young though.

I heard that drinking celery juice in summer is good for hydration. I love celery especially in stuffing, roasts and stews. We won't celebrate Easter until the 13th, which is also my husband's birthday. So we will celebrate Easter, my husbands birthday and our oldest grandsons birthday in 1 weekend. I was trying to work on doing more cleaning in the hen den but I didn't get much done. I'm really sore from getting in over 10000 steps yesterday and my pinched nerve in my hip is screaming at me about it.

Does anyone here grow celery? I've got a bunch started but have never grown it. Any tips? Trying to figure how many per pocket. I'm guessing it won't look quite like the celery from the store?

I like it IN things, cooked well, and cut VERY VERY TINY.
Agree, the stringy thing is beyond gross.

got D'Elne - it's supposed to be sweet(ish). It has a shorter time to harvest & is frost tolerant. I love celery, I hope it's good.

Celery we have done for a few years in a row. We’ve tried several varieties, which have pretty much all had some bitterness to them. Some were better than others. We did grow the D’elne one year, but can’t remember much about it without digging up my notes. We had best success when planting among the tomatoes, where it would get some shade. A local friend of ours grew up on a celery farm…although I’m not sure if they were still growing celery when he was born, or if the farm had moved on to another crop by then. Funny to think there was money in celery…🤣

I’m with you @Sueby and @NewBoots. I like celery in lots of different dishes. Cold summer salads like potato salad and chicken salads. Then always use it along with carrots and onions for the aromatics in soups and stews. One of my favorite dishes is Cashew Chicken with onions, mushrooms and lots of celery. Very tasty.

Back
Top Bottom