What did you do in the garden today?

Hmmmm. I could make that shorter, put in an internal hanging frame and shove a 5 gallon bucket in there. Hmmmmmm.
=======
Went out to feed the critters and spent an hour putting the gourd house back up. I cleaned it out yesterday, and the birds are coming in, so it's up and ready when they really come back for good.
I could NOT find the lift pins for the pole. In the time it took me to drive back to the house, root around in the garage, and find the pins, a small bird was in and exploring the gourds. I about took a sparrow to the eye. LOL.

Good grief.
I still need to empty all the fence boxes, but I prefer a windless day for that.
I prefer NOT breathing what's in those boxes. :sick

Oh, and walking the garden for trash yesterday, I found three onions, up about 2 inches, that I obviously missed last fall. WTH?!?!?

@Liz Birdlover can't wait to see how your lawn project goes! I over seeded my lawn with clover a few years ago, much to DHs dismay. He is one who would have a manicured lawn if I let him, but he now saves big blocks of clover for the bees when he mows & leaves the dandelions. He's even stopped using weed killer. He's coming around, I discreetly keep make the garden bigger & bigger, one day there will be no lawn left & he won't even notice what I did there. :gig

@Liz Birdlover can't wait to see how your lawn project goes! I over seeded my lawn with clover a few years ago, much to DHs dismay. He is one who would have a manicured lawn if I let him, but he now saves big blocks of clover for the bees when he mows & leaves the dandelions. He's even stopped using weed killer. He's coming around, I discreetly keep make the garden bigger & bigger, one day there will be no lawn left & he won't even notice what I did there. :gig
So funny, things change slowly here too...same reason, he needs a bit of time for my ideas to grow on him.Then, next thing ya know, that small wildflower garden that started in the useless space behind the garage has "somehow" Grown Exponentially! 😆 🤣 😂

A "Little Bird" somehow must've planted the appropriate Shade loving vs. Sun loving seeds to just the right locations, on all 3 sides of garage now. That Little Bird's name is Liz...shhh, don't tell anybody. 😉

Last edited:
So I decided to try something - I wasn't able to plant garlic in the fall as I usually do but I saved the best ones anyway. I just put them in the fridge (all softneck) - I read 3 weeks in the fridge & then plant & I should get some sort of a crop over the summer. Has anyone tried this? I hate to lose my garlic, I've had it for many years & it's done very well here.
I just heard on Facebook that you shouldn't put garlic in the fridge. It causes mildew and mold. It also said the same for onions and cucumbers.

I just heard on Facebook that you shouldn't put garlic in the fridge. It causes mildew and mold. It also said the same for onions and cucumbers.

We don't put garlic in the fridge. We just use however many cloves we need. With the onions and cucumbers, once we cut into either of them, the rest gets refrigerated. If that is wrong, I'd like to know.

Out to buy paint and supplies (indoor project). Specifically wanted a SW paint that is very durable for one part of the project. Prices have sure gone up. We used it 15 or so years ago at $50-60 a gallon. Then about 5 years ago ($75 gallon), and today at $109 a gallon!!!!! Ok, it’s not gold…but it is B1, G1 at 50% off this weekend. We will prime well before hand, then apply 1-2 coats of this stuff. The rest of the project gets regular interior wall paint. Choosing colors will be a challenge for the colored portion (the $109 gallon stuff is a version of white) of the project since we will probably use 2-3 colors throughout, and there isn’t a lot of natural light in some portions. Thankfully greys are getting less popular…don’t get me wrong, some greys are perfect, and can be just the right choice. But, before grey ever came into fashion, I worked in a building that was grey, white, or black E.V.E.R.Y.W.H.E.R.E!!!! So, I was really over grey before its surge in popularity.

Went to start buying birthing supplies for the goats. Called vet office to see if they have a prep list. They do, but needs to be updated, so they will call me when it’s updated, but vet was in office today, so that’s a good thing.

Hay racks for the goats made and attached to the wall. Pen should get divided soon -hopefully this weekend. Reading our “Raising Dairy Goats” book again, focusing on the breeding, pregnancy and birth chapters. Colostrum is really important for the kids - like life or death importance, so a big section on that. Fun fact: if you have surplus colostrum, it can be used for human consumption. Called “Beestings” in England, a cup of colostrum can replace 2eggs and a scant cup of milk in baked goods. A custard can be made with 2C colostrum, 2C milk, and 1/4 C honey. Bake at 300F until set, about 45-60 min, sprinkle with nutmeg. So, I read this to husband, and he said “yeah, no.” I just never realized colostrum was that thick or had such thickening properties!

15-20 huge swans flew over our house this morning.
I was outside early to fill some feeders and I saw them.
What a beautiful sight. 😍
There are Snow Greese here, mostly white with black tipped wings & a higher pitch honk than Canadians. We honk back to them. We see Bald Eagles often, too, amazing. Often we have Blue Herons, and sometimes they land in a tree nearby...1st time I saw that happen, I was surprised, didn’t know they liked it high up in trees, but they do. Once in awhile we see some Huge White Birds fly over & it is a real treat to see Swans. Herons, Swans & Eagles are just so big, you gotta look up & smile, & watch them fly with an appreciation in your heart, til they're out of sight. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom