What did you do in the garden today?

I attempted to grow onions from seeds last year and they did terribly. I grew the right seeds for my area (long day), started them indoors, planted them outside, and they just didn't grow.

This year I'm buying a bag of sets and a bundle of starts instead.
Could be the seeds or variety or starting soil, etc. some grow better than others. Some take awhile to do anything!!! Apparently onion seed life is considered to be 1 year, so viability must drop a lot after a year.

The sets or starts should work well for you. Put them in a very sunny spot!

I tried seeds for onions last year but I didn't get anything from them. I started this year with sets and plan on doing seeds again because I am not a quitter. I don't believe in "Oh that didn't work so no more trying." I see it as being if at first I don't succeed then I have to try again. I'm seeing a lot of green on my onions and also my walking onions are doing amazing. I plan on dehydrating some of the greens for my spice cabinet.

I attempted to grow onions from seeds last year and they did terribly. I grew the right seeds for my area (long day), started them indoors, planted them outside, and they just didn't grow.

This year I'm buying a bag of sets and a bundle of starts instead.
I normally grow plants and last year they did terrible. Lots of people nearby said they had a bad year, probably weather.
I'm trying seeds this year . They are supposed to be here Wednesday. I usually plant the bunches of plants the end of March or beginning of April

I live in northern Minnesota where our water lines are buried just over 8 foot deep. I have never had a water line freeze in our winters. Are you sure your water pipes are buried 10 feet deep in Missouri? Looks more like about 3 feet deep in the picture of the trench being dug by the backhoe. But sometimes it is hard to judge the depth of the trench in a picture without some other reference.

View attachment 3734630
Lol. I meant 10 to 12 inches. 😂🤔
No way that is 10 feet. Geez. I think I need more sleep

33E295DD-761C-4F62-9B99-41B361CDB28A.jpeg
0CEA223C-37B6-48E4-A7D2-9F578DA3B01E.jpeg

This is what my chicken yards look like after the water pipe repair. The water company told me how I could check my daily usage. On the day the pipe broke I “used” over 21,000 gallons of water. Compared to 200 to 300 gallons on an average day. No wonder my yard is a mud pit. Plus we have a lot of rain on top of that. Plus it had been leaking heavily ( around 800 gallons a day) for the week prior to the actual break. The water company won’t talk to me about my bill until after the bills are actually generated.

Back
Top Bottom