What did you do in the garden today?

not all natural honey taste the same. black locust honey is sweet and mild, liquid as well. pine and chestnut honey are much stronger and somewhat bitter. I think all natural honey exept black locust get hard in cold weather.
Few people harvest black locust honey successfully in my area and it was an uncommon year when I could harvest a few frames per hive, sealed and ready containing the Locust honey. It is mild and sweet! My favorite, here in my area, is Wild flower and clover from a good seasons second round of harvest in August, It is flavorsome, floral and not too strong(for me) as some wild flower honey from fall harvest may often be, usually harvested in September - October , just before readying the hives for winter. With a mild summer and plenty of rain is when I got my favorite. Some years I did not get a second harvest or it was a small fall harvest. Some local bee keepers love the Black Locust Honey most of all, or do they just covet getting it so much? The blossom period is usually full of spring rain storms and cold windy days that prevent a surplus of the clear locust honey. The clover honey from this area is as good as any I have tasted and the light golden color is the norm for our area for the main crop harvested in June here. My friends in Mississippi and Louisiana may harvest Tupelo/Black Gum honey that is awesome. Florida is famous for it! Honey bees are a great blessing and GMO crops , herbicides and insecticides are killing them off. Another neat thing about Black Locust honey is, that it seems to resist crystallization for years.

Something ate the top off my Indian Kajiri melon that I just put in my grow bag. I think it was a grasshopper, but I am not sure. Anyway, I sprinkled Captain Jack's spinosa powder on the remaining 3 and sprinkled it on my comfrey plants. For some reason, whatever is eating my comfrey and melon plant doesn't eat the leaves on my chilli pepper and long bean plants.

I hope I solved the problem; I really want to taste an Indian Kajiri melon.

I made some holes around the bottom of a metal coffee can and filled it with comfrey leaves and chopped banana flower. I also, put a cup of chicken manure pellets in the coffee can. My idea is to fertilize from the middle. All I need to do is add water to the coffee can and the nutrients will be dispersed.
In addition, I saw some earth worms in the potting soil, so that's a plus.
DSCN0241.JPG
DSCN0239.JPG

DSCN0240.JPG

Last edited:
Yesterday was kind of stressful, with all the cooking. So, Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

The garlic, onions, and potatoes were home grown. The girls are on strike molt, so the eggs were store bought. :rolleyes:

It's sunny, but cold today. I think the ground is now frozen. Gardening is all in my head now.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend with safe travels and good memories.

The girls are on strike molt, so the eggs were store bought.
I had to buy a dozen eggs for all the baking. We have enough for us to eat, but not all I needed for pies, stuffing, etc.

Quiet in here, everyone must still be in a food coma. :gig

Today I've made a sausage cheese dip, a pecan pie, tagalong cookie bars & the bread for stuffing. I still need to assemble & cook the stuffing, chop veggies for the dip & make a salad. I have to run to my sisters to get a casserole dish, hit the packy (liquor store) & pick up brakes for my car. I really just need to get in the hot tub instead - I'm whooped. Not even hosting Thanksgiving is hard, lol.

Back
Top Bottom