What did you do in the garden today?

The teenager wanted to do manual labor today. Big score for me! He picked up all the cement blocks and put them in a nice design out of the way, moved all the pavers I need over next to the shade garden, moved the pavers for the garden entry out to the big yard, moved all the gravel and lava rocks for the dragon fruit and he’s going to clean the patio. He’s kissing my butt atm, he’s on restriction for being disrespectful and doesn’t get to go to his girlfriends house for Halloween. I know he’s trying to change my mind about that.

I raked up some leaves and put them on the garden. They can just sit there for the winter. If I spread them out, they just blow up against the fence. In a pile, they stay put pretty well.

I got the filter material up on the openings in the coop. It's white, but does cut some of the light. It's a gloomy day, and even more gloomy in there now. Sorry, chickens.

Finished dress #6. I may have to take a break for a week. Even at only 1.5 to 3 hours a day of sewing, my brain is starting to scramble. LOL.
My pattern, custom fit :)
I worked extra long on this one to get the plaid to match where it counts. It can't match everywhere, that's mathematically impossible.
Fully finished inside and out. French seamed, the whole thing.
Now I need a nice pair of lace up, low heel oxfords. That's the next challenge.
1698628758428.png

Oh no, I'm so many pages behind, and might not catch up but I'll try.

Last weekend renting the chicken processing equipment was a big fail - I'm so frustrated! Our plan was to set up the scalder and get the water heating, then get the rest of the equipment arranged while we waited. But the scalder refused to light - we fiddled with it for an hour, then discovered the ground on the plug was broken. So put everything back in its trailer and took it back - the guy was really apologetic and will fix it, but a bunch of other people have it booked for their Thanksgiving turkeys, and I'm traveling to Florida with my sister to see our Mom in 2 weeks, so unsure when we will be able to butcher these roosters, who are getting older and starting to crow! Urrgh.

I did get a bunch done in the garden - dug up all the rest of my carrots and one bed of potatoes, picked the remaining butternuts, and winterized 4 beds - weeded, stirred the dirt, planted winter wheat, and covered with leaves. We had our first frost, so unfortunately my beautiful dahlias are done, but not before I cut some beauties, brought them inside and filled a couple vases.

Amazingly, we still have a bunch of tomatoes to harvest, no cracks or blight - better strip those plants ASAP.

Mr. Dog hates our apple tree, because it's in an inconvenient place, right outside our back door, so it's impossible to get to the chicken coop or garden without stepping on fallen apples. But I spent several hours picking up all the fallen apples, composting many and processing the good ones - froze several gallons of applesauce and a few more to go. When we have enough (or I get tired of prune hands from processing them) I'll bring the rest to the horses.

I was pretty slack today. Another down day where I'd rather stay under the covers. I did pick some beans up along with some basil. I'll drop some seeds in some of the kratky pots and even in the main garden beds; bout the only thing I can grow atm lol. The chillies are interesting, I think one is called salsa while the other is verde. They'll go in little drums where the previous chilli died (think it was too far om the water level.) I'm hoping my incubator comes tomorrow so I can get my dopamine hit of hatching out critters/

Attachments

• basilandbeans.jpg
    basilandbeans.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 1
  • New chillis.jpg
    New chillis.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 1
Well, the rain refused to lighten up yesterday so I never went down to the garden to pick the green tomatoes. Guessing they are probably toast now since it got down around freezing.

I also realized this morning that I didn't collect birdhouse gourds either. They still feel pretty solid, not light or hollow. Foliage is dying off but not dead yet. Think I should collect them?

Back
Top Bottom