What did you do in the garden today?

I have a pear tree. Had to hurry and pick more before the freeze. Huge this year..had it pruned. They're soo good.
20231025_141037.jpg

I just saw a clip on the news on that, how accents are disappearing. Sad.

Do you say 'you guys'?

I got so much done today, pretty much more than I've done in a year. I'm sure I'll pay later...but I got pots emptied & put away, all the garden decorations put away, hoses gone, 2 bags of leave litter put up for the birds for the winter, compost turned. I heard the word 'hard freeze' on the news - was kinda just hoping for a frost first for my dahlias. From 85 directly to a freeze. :idunno

Strip steaks for dinner, just about the last of the cow from the freezer, the new one is hanging & will be ready for pick up next weekend. :drool I didn't get any soup bones because I didn't think I'd be able to can broth, but I'm already kinda regretting it I think.
We have a few different accents in my country. And it only takes 7.5 hours to drive from one end to the other.

There’s eastern accent, Arabic accent, east European accent, Jerusalem accent (like eastern accent but for humans who are born in Jerusalem, not Iraq), Tel Aviv accent (which is basically just a leftist accent), there’s farmers accent… and so on.

I didn’t understand what you meant!!! Why would you “park” a hinny on a metal football stand seat?! And what is a “metal football stand seat”?
The places for people to watch outdoor sporting events at schools look like this ... rows of metal benches to sit on. The rows of benches are called stands, among other things. There would be more rows of seats and/or more sections at bigger schools and sometimes the seats are wooden but most look much like this picture.

The field in front of these stands is used for many sports and sometimes other things but usually, the most people come to football games (American football not what the rest of the world calls football and Americans call soccer). So sometimes they are called "football stands" all year, especially when the school is big enough to have other stands - like for baseball or tennis. Or they might be called "football stands" only this time of year - when football is played. Or they might be called "football stands" only when people are going to a football game.

"Park" can mean anything left for longish time - like parking a car but one can also park cash in a bank or ...

Hiney is usually said, not so much written, so spelling is not very standard. "Parking a hiney" is sitting somewhere and indicates for a relatively long time - like three or more hours for a football game. It isn't specific to football games, though.

The significance here, is the metal pulls the warmth out of anything warm - like the person sitting there. It is helpful to take some insulation like a folded blanket or cushion but they are somewhat inconvenient so many people just deal with getting cold if it isn't too cold. Since the temperature drops, sometimes a LOT, while the game is played (the games are usually started about 6:00 in the evening so only the first half hour or so are played before dark), it is easy to think you won't want something to sit on and, later, find you really do wish you had brought something.

Attachments

• 29419885-CE33-4363-81C6-2F6351A36953.jpeg
    29419885-CE33-4363-81C6-2F6351A36953.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I forgot park. "Park" can mean anything left for longish time - like parking a car but one can also park cash in a bank or ...

Edit to add... not to be insulting or anything, it is difficult to know which words are problematic. We once had international visitors who wondered why our cars went swimming so much when they saw so many signs for car pool parking. They knew swimming pools but not that pool could also mean gathering a bunch of something - pooling resources - ride sharing in this case.

Last edited:
The places for people to watch outdoor sporting events at schools look like this ... rows of metal benches to sit on. The rows of benches are called stands, among other things. There would be more rows of seats and/or more sections at bigger schools and sometimes the seats are wooden but most look much like this picture.

The field in front of these stands is used for many sports and sometimes other things but usually, the most people come to football games (American football not what the rest of the world calls football and Americans call soccer). So sometimes they are called "football stands" all year, especially when the school is big enough to have other stands - like for baseball or tennis. Or they might be called "football stands" only this time of year - when football is played. Or they might be called "football stands" only when people are going to a football game.

"Park" can mean anything left for longish time - like parking a car but one can also park cash in a bank or ...

Hiney is usually said, not so much written, so spelling is not very standard. "Parking a hiney" is sitting somewhere and indicates for a relatively long time - like three or more hours for a football game. It isn't specific to football games, though.

The significance here, is the metal pulls the warmth out of anything warm - like the person sitting there. It is helpful to take some insulation like a folded blanket or cushion but they are somewhat inconvenient so many people just deal with getting cold if it isn't too cold. Since the temperature drops, sometimes a LOT, while the game is played (the games are usually started about 6:00 in the evening so only the first half hour or so are played before dark), it is easy to think you won't want something to sit on and, later, find you really do wish you had brought something.
Oh, I see,
Next question: so you only play American football during autumn?

I forgot park. "Park" can mean anything left for longish time - like parking a car but one can also park cash in a bank or ...
So what I thought, was someone is happy he/she did not leave the half horse-half donkey outside on one of these standing benches (like in the opera) which happened to be made out of metal, and for some reason, is present in the persons backyard (which is a reasonable place to leave a barn animal).

So what I thought, was someone is happy he/she did not leave the half horse-half donkey outside on one of these standing benches (like in the opera) which happened to be made out of metal, and for some reason, is present in the persons backyard (which is a reasonable place to leave a barn animal).
And yes, I’m aware it sounds weird, which is why I figured, I must have understood something wrong.

Yes and no. That is when schools play it. And the professionals, although there is a new pro league that plays at other times. And kids leagues usually play in the autumn. Basically, most of the organized games. There are quite a few summer camps for kids to learn the skills and/or get physically fit for playing later, when the schools and leagues play.

Informally, people sometimes play anytime but less so than they might play basketball all year even though the professionals and schools play in the winter between football and baseball. Partly because you don't need as many people to play basketball or as big of a space or as much equipment as football usually takes - although an informal game can be played with just a football. And partly because the organized games below professional level tend to be played by the same people who are busy playing baseball or softball in the spring, basketball or bowling in the winter, and so on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom