What did you do in the garden today?

Have the same frustration with my tomatoes at the top of the plant and my bell peppers. Found out it think it’s my bat family that stays around my property. (That normally adore)
And I agree…. Just eat the whole dang thing!
6 quarts of tomatoes in the canner. I'm thinking I may set up a table in the mudroom and pick any/all tomatoes that are starting to turn. I found evidence of a ground hog(?) munching on tomatoes again.

Rant: Hey, :ducI have enough to share, but could you eat 1 or 2 or 3, and eat the whole thing?!? This bite out 7 or 8 or 10 is PISSING ME OFF!

Hardening off these Napa Cabbages for fall planting. There's also a broccoli and a couple cauliflower in there. Not great germination on those. I think there's an issue with the AeroGarden pods.

I'll get these planted after my grandson goes home, tomorrow - and my migraine subsides 😣

received_813670863496245.jpeg

Last edited:
Canned some peppers yesterday. Hubby wanted a few different types of hot peppers & there wasn't any room in the garden, so we grew them in a greenstalk on the back deck. They are growing so much better than they ever did in the ground in years past! I will try bell peppers in it next year too because I've never had much luck with those either.
I have 3 greenstalks. I love them! My harvest from them has been fabulous!

Interesting! I just visited the Greenstalk website and all terra cotta planters are 35% off.

View attachment 3613752
Yes, they are phasing out that color. I bought that color, back in the spring, for my son and DIL.
They run sales on occasion. The biggest is their mother's day sale. They just ran a special on plant supports, so I got 3 more. I had cucumbers in one greenstalk, and bush beans (that do lop over) in another, and the supports worked well.
I love that I can plant them up on my deck, and eliminate the risk of many pest concerns. They're easy to water, and the produce stays very clean. Perfect for my lettuces.
I have in-ground gardens, as well

Last edited:
It's going to be hot here today. So, this morning Dear Wife and I went out to the raised beds and picked some food this morning.

Our very first batch of bitter melons! Aka, ampalaya in filipino. These are a tropical veggie and we are just glad to have gotten any here in northern Minnesota zone 3b. They would have gotten a little bigger in the tropical climate, but I guess these were ready for picking now....

1692462380668.jpeg

The longest bitter melon is 10 inches and the shortest is 5 inches, for comparison.

I made a sturdy trellis out of pallet wood 2X4's for the bitter melon to climb on this spring, and it has worked out pretty well for Dear Wife. She is very happy with the results. They are a taste of home of the tropics even here in Minnesota. :hugs

1692463026252.jpeg

It's going to be hot here today. So, this morning Dear Wife and I went out to the raised beds and picked some food this morning.

Our very first batch of bitter melons! Aka, ampalaya in filipino. These are a tropical veggie and we are just glad to have gotten any here in northern Minnesota zone 3b. They would have gotten a little bigger in the tropical climate, but I guess these were ready for picking now....

View attachment 3613773

The longest bitter melon is 10 inches and the shortest is 5 inches, for comparison.

I made a sturdy trellis out of pallet wood 2X4's for the bitter melon to climb on this spring, and it has worked out pretty well for Dear Wife. She is very happy with the results. They are a taste of home of the tropics even here in Minnesota. :hugs

View attachment 3613781
The trellis looks great! What do bitter melons taste like?

View attachment 3613773

View attachment 3613781
My six vines are producing like I would like to see my cukes do. LOL
Bitter melon juice frozen, dried, & frozen enough for winter I hope so. :thumbsup

1692467305237.png

1692467646418.png

1692467848002.png

Back
Top Bottom