What did you do in the garden today?

I am back home and totally discouraged. What the drought did not kill the animals got. Coons destroyed the black raspberry crop. The deer trimmed all the squash and beans. I may just quit trying to grow food.

I'm so sorry! We came home to a rough looking garden when we got home from the hospital too. We've still had an abundant harvest though. The deer, squirrels, and crows got all of the corn and the heat and pests are about to finish off most of what is left. We usually allow our garden to die back during the hottest months anyway because it's a losing battle.

Wow! Why did you need to go so far?
Since TSC and Bomgaars bought out Orscheln's, neither carry my chicken feed anymore. We've tried every chicken feed they carry, plus some weird stuff some of the local co-ops carry. They hens eat it, but don't. They waste a TON, and their eggs are getting weird.

So I contacted the producer who told me who carried their feed, but turns out they didn't, which sent me on a cross country trip, lots of stupid lazy people, one co-op got their pallet of feed in on the morning truck and hadn't unloaded it yet. And they didn't want to unload the pallet until tomorrow. Nut she could see it, but the dock crew didn't want to open it.

Finally a store in Crete, who if I paid for it there (they were out in store), and drove to Columbus to the plant to pick it up today, was AWESOME. Now, in future, I can ORDER it in Crete (by phone), and they'll pick it up on their weekly feed run to Columbus and I'll pick it up 20 miles away in Crete. RIDICULOUS.

I was down to 3 days worth of feed for the hens, and would have resorted to something local, but they just don't want it.

I'm torn... my peach tree is in the way of where I want to have our new shed roof overhang. I can either have the roof right close to the tree or cut the tree. It's as old as my son. I think I am going to build right through it and cut off the major branch in the way come Feb/Mar. I really don't want to cut the tree down, but it might come to it. I'm going to look for another peach tree to plant in another spot.

I'm torn... my peach tree is in the way of where I want to have our new shed roof overhang. I can either have the roof right close to the tree or cut the tree. It's as old as my son. I think I am going to build right through it and cut off the major branch in the way come Feb/Mar. I really don't want to cut the tree down, but it might come to it. I'm going to look for another peach tree to plant in another spot.
Maybe this will help with your decision. I remember from somewhere that peach trees don't typically have a long life span. I just checked Wikipedia, and a quote:

Peach trees are relatively short-lived as compared with some other fruit trees. In some regions orchards are replanted after 8 to 10 years, while in others trees may produce satisfactorily for 20 to 25 years or more, depending upon their resistance to diseases, pests, and winter damage.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peach

Went into town today to my monthly Senior Citizen's cooking class today. We learned how to make some Rhubarb BBQ sauce, which was much better than I expected. We put the sauce on some mashed potatoes and meatballs. Very good.

I don't have a rhubarb patch, but I got some fresh stalks from the Community Food Shelf garden out back. Enough for me to make the Rhubarb BBQ sauce and maybe a little extra to freeze for later.

A couple of the ladies at the cooking class said they would bring me some rhubard plants next month so I can start my own patch. So, I'm looking forward to building another pallet wood raised garden bed for the rhubard. Will be looking at some YouTube videos on best ways to grow the plants.

Sounds like I need to start the rhubarb patch this fall for plants ready to harvest next year. I'm OK with that. In the meantime, I can get as much rhubarb as I want as the food shelf garden.

Back
Top Bottom