What did you do in the garden today?

Not 100% sure, but I have the impression that Bauer is a Chinese knockoff of Milwaukee. Same color, similar looking design, but cheaper and not half as good.
Our local hardware store (not a chain) has actual human beings who know and use the tools, and a few years ago, one convinced me to buy a set of Milwaukee - impact driver, regular drill, and sawzall - including the charger, two batteries, and a set of drill bits - for $299 (it was during a sale) I use these all the time, the batteries still last a long time even after regular use for a few years. I paid a bit more, but never regretted this buy.
Love my Milwaukee tools!
:love

OOH! I might be about to get another useful freebie from work. I noticed a bunch of pallets destined for recycling, full of 2'x3' stackable plastic totes. There are more than 100 of them, that can no longer be stacked because the lids have cracks, but they are the perfect size and shape to become chick brooders. I emailed the people in charge and got no response, so I took that as a "yes" and set aside 5 of them to take home. The cracked lids will be fine, since I'll be cutting holes in them to make room for a heat lamp.
SCORE!!!

You asked for it!

I cut off the toes from the old socks and cut them into strips lengthwise. I had a couple extra rolls of electrical tape lying around so I decided to use it to attach the strips.
View attachment 3519424
I put a stake into the ground next to the stem, on the leaning side of the plant.

Then I cut off the leaves near the bottom of the plant and used a sock strip to tie the main vine to the stake.

BE CAREFUL! I accidentally cut off the main vine with my first plant. I hope it grows another.

View attachment 3519450
In the photo above you can see where I dug away some of the dirt from the base of the plant. I didn't expose the roots.

View attachment 3519451

Then I took another sock strip and wound it around the stalk from the ground on up, making sure to cover the stalk completely, no gaps. Then I taped it in place.
View attachment 3519426

View attachment 3519454

Once the wrapping was complete I pushed the dirt back around the plant so the sock covering was slightly buried.

Ta da!
View attachment 3519461
As the stalks continue to grow I will trim leaves and tie the main vines to the stakes.

And I'll let you know how the experiment turns out!
:pop

WooHoo! We're rooting for you! Thank you for sharing your experiment!!

I am 70+ pages behind. I’m not even going to try to catch up.

I need some advice. I made this today in what was once a sandbox.

I made a little raked sand garden.

Does that look good? Any idea on how I can make it look better?

Regardless, doing this type of thing really relaxes me.
I am 70+ pages behind. I’m not even going to try to catch up.

I need some advice. I made this today in what was once a sandbox.

View attachment 3519392

I made a little raked sand garden.

Does that look good? Any idea on how I can make it look better?

Regardless, doing this type of thing really relaxes me.
I think a finer sand on top would work best. You may even like trying different colors of sand. My niece found some purple sand one year that she put in her kid’s sandbox. That would be fun to take through especially if you had 2 colors on top of each other so you could see both colors when you raked!

Today I watched one of my grandsons because his parents forgot that they needed to make arrangements since his last day of school was Wednesday Lol.
He went to the church garden with me while I weeded and watered. Then we drove over to the farm garden where I used the weed eater to take down the tall grasses near the raised beds and around the blackberry plants. I accidentally chopped off the best looking blackberry plant. 😞
I weeded the strawberry patch and got a bunch of big grubs out of there ( took home to my chickens). I strung some wire for the blackberry canes to connect to and lastly I watered everything. While I was watering a hummingbird came by to check out the spray from the end of the hose. 😳
This evening after I dropped the grandson off ( and the other 2 grandkids we picked up to join us for lunch) I came home and planted several 4 packs of clearances flowers that we picked up.
Edited to add: also harvested more asparagus and a couple of small “heads” of broccoli.

Burning... two fires going to burn the scrap from the old shed. Burn barrel burns faster, but bonfire allows me to burn without cutting as much. So both it is!
Menards has 11% rebate going. I need to go get the lumber and materials while I get a rebate.
Do you have a Home Depot nearby? A lot of the lumber I used for my run was cull lumber, 70% off.

Well, friends, this is going to be a hard weekend. We will be shutting off the life support on my mom on Sunday. I've been strong this whole time but it's really hitting hard today. I know we all face this inevitability but it still sucks and hurts.

I've decided I'm going to build a nice heart-shaped raised flower bed for her. A pollinator garden. I'm also going to order this memorial and put it in the center.
View attachment 3517828
I’m sorry for this difficult time for you and your family. I’m glad you can spend time snd say goodbye. Hugs to you.

And on the perimeter...that asparagus is over 6 ft tall!
20230511_091617.jpg
Oh wow! That is huge! How old is your asparagus? I had some ordered but never came.
Well, friends, this is going to be a hard weekend. We will be shutting off the life support on my mom on Sunday. I've been strong this whole time but it's really hitting hard today. I know we all face this inevitability but it still sucks and hurts.

I've decided I'm going to build a nice heart-shaped raised flower bed for her. A pollinator garden. I'm also going to order this memorial and put it in the center.
View attachment 3517828
Oh I'm so very sorry for your loss! That will be a beautiful way to remember her and celebrate her life as you go out each day!

Back
Top Bottom