What did you do in the garden today?

I saw a video of a professor growing cherry tomatoes with coco peat in a 2 gallon pot. He fed it daily with a liquid fertilizer solution and the plants were hung on a string on a single stem. The plants produced huge clusters of cherry tomatoes.

I have a similar idea, but totally different. First, I put a 5 inch net cup upside down on the bottom of my 2 gallon pot and filled the sides up to the net cup with potting soil and then placed my root bound tomato plant on top and filled the rest of the 2 gallon pot up to the top. I will use a reservoir tray under the pot and water it from the bottom and only when it dries up. Based on my experience, the reservoir tray holds just enough water to feed the plant for a day. I plan to fill the reservoir up only once in the morning, but will probably need to refill it in the evening when the plants start producing fruit. I will let the plant reach 6 feet with a total of 4 branches which is equivalent to a 24 foot plant. I will support the branches with four 6ft bamboo stakes.

The 5 inch net cup only allows water to touch the potting soil around the edges of the net cup, so the entire soil on the bottom isn't sitting in the water. I think the plant will send down roots though the net cup and it will reach the water reservoir.

Last edited:
. I will let the plant reach 6 feet with a total of 4 branches which is equivalent to a 24 feet plant. I will support the branches with four 6ft bamboo stakes.

The 5 inch net cup only allows water to touch the potting soil only around the edges of the net cup, so the entire soil on the bottom isn't sitting in the water. I think the plant will send down roots though the net cup and reach the water reservoir. Because of the moisture, the roots will not get air pruned.
I’m my experience, one to three branches are the best to receive great quantities. That is what we do in the farm anyway.
Large tomatoes-one branch
Medium-small-two branches
Cocktail-cherry- two to three branches.

I’m my experience, one to three branches are the best to receive great quantities. That is what we do in the farm anyway.
Large tomatoes-one branch
Medium-small-two branches
Cocktail-cherry- two to three branches.
If I can get a meaningful harvest, this would be a game changer for me, since it uses less potting soil.

I have kept an indeterminate cherry tomato alive for 2 years before pulling it out of its pot. It grew in a 2 gallon pot with a one inch wicking hole on the bottom sitting on top a 5 gallon reservoir bucket. I used a micro fiber cloth to wick water up from the 5 gallon bucket. The plant grew with out receiving any water from the top which proved the wicking theory. However, this cherry tomato variety didn't have a wow factor to its taste and it had short clusters not more than five cherry tomatoes at a time.

Last edited:
Olives! I like Syrian olives, the flies don’t bite them and they don’t need frost to produce, they also don’t need a lot of water, have beautiful trunks, and live forever.
You should also try Israel heirloom melon varieties, and Arab cucumbers (faqus) which are also melons, btw, so don’t grow them next to each other if you want seeds.
And best of all, date palm trees, no added water at all, desert plant, produces delicious fruit if you get the right variety. (You need to buy a starter tree, because they don’t breed true through seeds), I recommend “Halawi”.
Sabres is also a nice plant, with tasty fruit which is great for juice. It’s a desert plant and doesn’t need supplementary water.
Thank you! I'll check out these varieties. We do get a hard freeze at least once every year, but frost sensitive trees I would put in the greenhouse and keep them trimmed to dwarf size.

60' and the winds are howling to near 50mph
heading out to spread 300 cu feet of manure, or at least move it to the new location in the field
========
I forgot to hit reply before I went out.
3.5 hours on the tractor moving manure. this manure is composted and then thickly spread to create in place soil and trickle down fertilizer in the hayfield. Once we have another nice day that isn't under a fire watch, I'll put the rake on the tractor and treat the manure windrows as 'snow' and spread it out.
Important note, when moving manure in 50mph winds it is important to keep all head holes shut.
Thank goodness for Navage. (BTW I am easily grossed out and this thing is FINE)

I have wondered about getting one of these... Sounds like you would recommend it.
I can't do meds. I can't handle the neti pot.
But this thing does the work. I do have to use warmed distilled water, as cool water triggers my panic/gag swimming pool water in the nose reflex. But even that's not bad.
You use these ph neutral saline pods with them, and I cannot believe how well it works. I've been using it after filthy chores where I KNOW I have allergens, am out in wind/dirt/smoke or, as the case today, literal crap up in my sinus'.
I got a great deal. CVS online had a buy one get one 50% off sale, Might still have) so I got the second for my son. It came with a second nose thing, so DH has his own nose plugs. And it came with bonus pods.
OH and you can switch the direction of the blow suck holes. I have one side that doesn't move enough air/water to be the intake hole. LOL. The things you learn, eh?

We finally got some wood chips!!! I'm super excited because we couldn't get any for the past few years and our food forest really needs to be topped off!

IMG_20230315_175255760_HDR~2.jpg

I can't do meds. I can't handle the neti pot.
But this thing does the work. I do have to use warmed distilled water, as cool water triggers my panic/gag swimming pool water in the nose reflex. But even that's not bad.
You use these ph neutral saline pods with them, and I cannot believe how well it works. I've been using it after filthy chores where I KNOW I have allergens, am out in wind/dirt/smoke or, as the case today, literal crap up in my sinus'.
I got a great deal. CVS online had a buy one get one 50% off sale, Might still have) so I got the second for my son. It came with a second nose thing, so DH has his own nose plugs. And it came with bonus pods.
OH and you can switch the direction of the blow suck holes. I have one side that doesn't move enough air/water to be the intake hole. LOL. The things you learn, eh?

I have to use the saline packs and slightly warm water with my neti pot or I feel like my sinuses are on fire too.
Fortunately I don't need to use it often.

Back
Top Bottom