What did you do in the garden today?

Welcome to the thread I am sure you will enjoy it here.

Yes I wait till the cotyledons are gone. When those first leaves show on my tomatoes I snip out the weaker ones.

Today I got a picture of my tomatoes sprouting. I save most of my tomatoes and seeing them sprout let’s me know I did everything right.View attachment 3425766 That larger plant in the back left is butterfly pea. New to me this year. I am allergic to artificial colors so can’t wait to see how it does. Hoping to grow it in my greenhouse.:thumbsup
Loved growing butterfly pea. I collected a lot of blooms, air dried them, and store them in jars. I throw some in my lemonade jug in the fridge or steep in my tea. Lots of goodies from antioxidants....

I would definitely like an update! I was thinking about trying a few wicking buckets also but that may wait until fall.
Our spring is always too wet but by July the rain/wet weather falls off a cliff. Combine that with triple digit heat and high humidity. Without self watering containers, none of my potted plants would survive. Definitely a lifesaver.

What orientation should I build my hoop greenhouse? Does it make a difference?

Although my backyard is still sitting under two feet of snow, I am thinking about building a pallet wood greenhouse with a hoop/cattle panel arch on top. I have read that a greenhouse should face south, but does that apply to a hoop greenhouse as well considering there are no walls?

:idunno My first thought is to build the length of the greenhouse on an East-West axis. But for a hoop greenhouse, would it really matter at all? Seems like it would get just as much sun no matter what orientation I built it on.

:caf Hoping someone here can help me out on this issue before I build the greenhouse. Thanks for any responses.

What orientation should I build my hoop greenhouse? Does it make a difference?

Although my backyard is still sitting under two feet of snow, I am thinking about building a pallet wood greenhouse with a hoop/cattle panel arch on top. I have read that a greenhouse should face south, but does that apply to a hoop greenhouse as well considering there are no walls?

:idunno My first thought is to build the length of the greenhouse on an East-West axis. But for a hoop greenhouse, would it really matter at all? Seems like it would get just as much sun no matter what orientation I built it on.

:caf Hoping someone here can help me out on this issue before I build the greenhouse. Thanks for any responses.
I ran mine east west and the other se to nw. exposing the longest sides to the most sun.

I ran mine east west and the other se to nw. exposing the longest sides to the most sun.

Thanks for the response. East-West orientation would be easy for me to do on the layout of my yard. I don't want to overthink this issue, but I don't want to build something and later find out that I should have orientated it a different way.

This is my rainproof option. For the tomatoes I’m hoping we just don’t get rain lol
Even if it rains, its not a big deal as long as the bucket has a hole, so the plant doesn't drown. When the plants get big they drink about 5 gallons of solution a week.

I would start the solution level with 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the bottom of the net cup and let it drop to at least 3 inches below the bottom of the net cup, that's where I would drill my hole for the water level. I would use a 3/8 grommet with a 3/8 inch 90 degree fitting and put a 3/8 tubing on it to increase the height of the solution level to start a new plant. They sell different sizes, I mentioned 3/8 inch since that what I have laying around. I also have extra 1/2 inch tubing and fittings that I used for my Dutch bucket set up.

Last edited:
Check out how FAST these Flax seedlings are growing! I just sowed them on Saturday! 😳
20230309_160712.jpg

Tomatoes & sesame are starting to come alive too

20230309_160728.jpg
20230309_160735.jpg

Back
Top Bottom