What did you do in the garden today?

So I've been trying to reduce my flock numbers a little bit. We butchered 10 chickens about 2 weeks ago. Last weekend I gave away 4 layers. Giving away another 3 layers this weekend. Wasn't really looking for money. Just good homes.

Anyway, since then I've come to find out that people are desperate for chickens. I've had 4-5 people asking to buy laying hens, chicks, or hatching eggs. I'm going to put some eggs in the incubator this weekend for them. I'm selling them rather cheap ($1.50/hatching egg or $4/unsexed chick). DH stopped by TSC to pick up some horse supplements and noticed chicks are in. They are selling them for $6-$7 per chick! Whomever was there from the Hatchery said they were selling adult hens for $50 EACH! 😳 So after griping at me for having too many chickens, DH is now miffed that I GAVE AWAY $350 in laying hens for free.... 🙄

My response? "Well it IS Lent. You are supposed to do an act of charity!" 😁

So I've been trying to reduce my flock numbers a little bit. We butchered 10 chickens about 2 weeks ago. Last weekend I gave away 4 layers. Giving away another 3 layers this weekend. Wasn't really looking for money. Just good homes.

Anyway, since then I've come to find out that people are desperate for chickens. I've had 4-5 people asking to buy laying hens, chicks, or hatching eggs. I'm going to put some eggs in the incubator this weekend for them. I'm selling them rather cheap ($1.50/hatching egg or $4/unsexed chick). DH stopped by TSC to pick up some horse supplements and noticed chicks are in. They are selling them for $6-$7 per chick! Whomever was there from the Hatchery said they were selling adult hens for $50 EACH! 😳 So after griping at me for having too many chickens, DH is now miffed that I GAVE AWAY $350 in laying hens for free.... 🙄

My response? "Well it IS Lent. You are supposed to do an act of charity!" 😁
Wait…TSC chicks are $6-$7 this year? 😳

Checked on the starts. That's all the gardening today.

Nice day hear in the 60s. Got outside for 20 minutes to take a walk around the block with DD and one of the dogs during a work break. Busy with work all day though and then helped DW prepare dinner. Took the kids out for ice cream as a reward for DS since he can now count to 100 all by himself. He's going to be a math wiz I think - he's in kindergarten and he counts by 2s and 10s already in addition to just counting every number to 100, plus he adds quite well and is taking to subtraction.

The (bleeping) automatic chicken door closed when it wasn't supposed to and locked all the chickens outside the coop in the middle of a thunderstorm. I had to go round up 60 chickens from all over the frickin place in the pouring rain and mud. I'm wet and filthy. They are all wet and filthy. No one is very pleased at the moment.... But at least they are safe inside.

I just checked CL in my area- prices fairly high on most listings for chicks or chickens. . A few were reasonable chick or hatching egg costs though. Did laugh at the one listing for chicks ($3 each, I think) with description along the lines of: “we have 100 chickens and 10+ roosters all commingled/ free ranged so we have no idea what kind of mix each chick is, but they are cute!”

Back
Top Bottom