What did you do in the garden today?

Taters are flowering.. got my canes on the 30 heirloom maters, squash all looks happy, need to get the broadfork out this morning work a new spot and weed it, too much to do really.. Waitin on daylight, I did get another worm bin going yesterday, and went thru the bin I thought froze and I found some worms alive so maybe I can salvage a good amount of red wiggler from it and start another bin.. big fan of composting worms.. very beneficial to all types of gardeners and gardens.. chicks are happy outside full time now, rabbits are good need to move the last 4 Florida whites out of the shed and into their full time hutch.. and harvest the straw and poop for the big compost bin.. still need to mow a section of yard I can’t get mower into, gonna have to cut and move fence, not looking forward to that, but it’s already out of control, have a water leak to fix too.. not enough hours in the day or dollars in the bank.. have a good weekend everybody !!

with my own seed potatoes from last year which are a purple (purple majesty) variety for sure and a pink (mountain rose)
Those two varieties are supposed to be among the healthiest potatoes there are, as far as antioxidant levels.

I have a pound of the purple majesty coming (should arrive today!), but could not get any of the mountain rose variety. I got something called Adirondack red instead.

I hope DH likes these; we've never eaten anything other than plain ol' white potatoes. I'm trying to work in any extra nutrients we can get into our diet.

I hope DH likes these; we've never eaten anything other than plain ol' white potatoes. I'm trying to work in any extra nutrients we can get into our diet.
We like to roast the purple and rose potatoes or chop them into cube and make hashbrowns for breakfast. Multi-color hashbrowns or roasted potatoes were fun for the kids and any guests always find them interesting. They were tasty too. I never tried mashing these varieties because they are smaller and I don't like peeling small potatoes as it tends to hurt my hands.

We like to roast the purple and rose potatoes or chop them into cube and make hashbrowns for breakfast. Multi-color hashbrowns or roasted potatoes were fun for the kids and any guests always find them interesting. They were tasty too. I never tried mashing these varieties because they are smaller and I don't like peeling small potatoes as it tends to hurt my hands.
Yes they are fantastic coated with olive oil and baked too.

I tried one recipe for the purple that said coat in olive oil and spicy brown mustard (just a squirt mixed in and rubbed on the potatoes), then add chopped onions and bake. It was actually really really good!

I bought onion sprouts today to plant soon. And some carrot seeds. Right now my garden seems happy and growing nicely. I have cabbage, Brussel sprouts, beets, bok choy, radishes, and 4 different types of lettuce. And the potted spinach near the house!

Sounds like I found some like-minds in this thread!
I just planted some cabbage starts and it got too cold so many of the leaves froze. But I use deep hay mulch so I’m hoping they survive. We had some left over window plastic from winters past so I used that as a little temp buffer the past few nights and no more leaf damage. I’m trying out some chives and oregano as companion plants around the cabbage. Also just set carrots and onions nearby, with some bok choy and kale. I’ve never grown cabbage or bok choy, but am ready to battle the cabbage worms!

Nothing in the coop or garden special, just watch and water time.
Those can be some of the BEST days to relax and ponder!
Finished my first no-dig hoop tunnel :D
Although I bought the wrong color of plastic film, the painted pallets look nice.
View attachment 3064138
Looks really cute! You could even attach black "seed" looking to the plastic and have a giant watermelon!!! Quite cool!!!
I have a very hard time getting my hubby to ear anything that remotely looks healthy! He won't eat anything but iceberg lettuce...no mixed greens, spinach much less luscious Russian kale!

Yard got mowed yesterday and with these new baby chicks and company coming over I totally forgot to tell him NOT to weedeat around the posts under the deck. Reckon my morning glory seeds were disturbed?! I had straw overlaying them but I can tell some straw has been displaced. Ugh!

Question for everyone. I know a lot of you use straw mulch. I tried once and had a ridiculously huge problem with slugs eating everything. Literally I could go out with a headlamp and get 50 in about 15 minutes. When I don’t use straw I still get slugs, but nowhere near that amount. The garden is way too big to do some of the online remedies like copper. Any ideas on how to lower the population? I think part of thr problem is how much rain we get in the spring, and we can’t mow as much because the yard can get swampy (garden is raised rows & raised beds).

Any solutions or suggestions? Ducks would be my best answer but we can’t keep them where I live.

Question for everyone. I know a lot of you use straw mulch. I tried once and had a ridiculously huge problem with slugs eating everything. Literally I could go out with a headlamp and get 50 in about 15 minutes. When I don’t use straw I still get slugs, but nowhere near that amount. The garden is way too big to do some of the online remedies like copper. Any ideas on how to lower the population? I think part of thr problem is how much rain we get in the spring, and we can’t mow as much because the yard can get swampy (garden is raised rows & raised beds).

Any solutions or suggestions? Ducks would be my best answer but we can’t keep them where I live.
Saucers of beer in the beds. The little lushes guzzle and die.

Back
Top Bottom