What did you do in the garden today?

I do the same thing. We cull all the extra cockerels and they end up in the deep freezer. We do the same with male drakes too.... I really need to learn how to cut & section off the meat though. DH likes boneless chicken thighs and I have yet to figure out how Tyson & the like manage to do that..... :D
Thighs have one bone unless you keep the hip attached when quartering (like Popeyes does). A slice just as deep s the bone on the back side off the though along the length of the bone and then keep scraping the bone with your knife as you work the meat way. Tada!

Probably not the clearest description, but once you do it once successfully you will be able to repeat again and again.

After thinking about your comment more in regards to the TV dinner chicks....I'm still astonished. I have 5 chicks in the brooder right now who are 3 weeks old. They still seem so tiny and they are dual purpose, standard breed chickens. I can't imagine them being big enough for a tv dinner in just 2 more weeks.....
Your chicks are not broilers I'm sure. Meat birds like broilers are specially bred for rapid growth and large muscle development.

You aren't kidding! I LOL at this one! View attachment 2998433

I just know I would love duck, I love dark meat. It just seems I never see it around here. :confused: I've never seen it in a restaurant or a grocery store.

Glad to hear that!

Fake spring is over, it's cold out there again. it was too windy to clean up the yard yesterday, I had to dodge falling limbs just to collect eggs.

I made a big batch of jerky yesterday, working on the last of the cow as the new one is coming in March. I need to find something good to do with the beef shanks. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking crockpot, but need a tasty idea.
I make stew with beef shank. If the shank is whole you can roast it kow and slow too. Often we buy them crossxut into 1" thick pieces though which we put in stew.

I need to find something good to do with the beef shanks. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking crockpot, but need a tasty idea.

Coated with seasoned flower, browned on all sides then set aside. Fine slice onion and cook that in the pan you just browned the shanks in (I use a dutch oven but an electric skillet works too) until it browns, then add sliced garlic. Dump in a little red wine to loosen the browned bits and put the shanks back in and add enough red wine to just cover the shanks. I usually put the dutch oven in the oven at 350 and cook for about 3 hours, adding liquid as needed. I usually add potatoes and carrots about a 30 to 45 minutes before serving depending on the size of the veg. It's the same way I do oxtails or brisket.

My question is can I still put those branches through the wood chipper as use it as mulch on my garden? I’m thinking the pieces will be too small to root a new bush. What do you all think?
I wonder too, the blackberries I pull/dig get set out to dry then added to the burn barrel. Runner grass roots and rose trimmings get the same special treatment.

Back
Top Bottom