What did you do in the garden today?

I keep losing power. One of these times it's going to stay off because the generator is tucked in the corner behind the lift where the corvette is & I can't get to it. & DH is at work & it's my day off. All signs it will go out & stay out. :gig

I'm glad all your snow is gone @Wee Farmer Sarah! I'm pretty excited about that too! No major damage here either, but thought a branch was going thru the front window earlier. Scared the bejeezus out of poor Patrick!

(no idea where that bold came from, lol)

@BReeder! that sounds like a good plan to me! I've still never eaten duck. Ha!
It’s still pretty windy here. I thought it had pretty much stopped but it’s blowing quite hard now. Fingers crossed on any power failure here. I’m not looking forward to any outside work until it gets calmer out there.

I want to do exactly this with our ducks. I was even thinking of having two smaller hatches each year. I wish my ducks would hatch their own eggs, but no luck so far - they go broody but are not good at it. I want to invest in a new incubator this year - the Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 is likely the one I get soon. It's supposed to hold 12-18 duck eggs, which should be perfect. 2 hatches could provide 2-3 ducks to eat per month for a year (obviously I need to account for failures, but that's reaosn for a 3rd hatch right? LOL).
The best broody ducks are muscovy .

Sorry, my keyboard froze up because Amazon decided I needed to upgrade my music player. What I meant to say, I'll definitely be building some of those planters for my greenhouse!

I really liked the concept of what that video was suggesting. A simple plastic contractor grade bag inside a sturdy cardboard box might last for a number of years. I will be checking out the heavy contractor bags at Menards next time I go into town. Might have to dumpster dive for some good cardboard boxes, but that should not be too difficult.

If I can find contractor bags big enough and some cardboard boxes strong enough, I will use that planter concept from bags to make some more sub irrigated planters. I have my best results from my elevated sub-irrigated planters out on my deck.

BTW, I was in Home Depot last week and checked up on lumber prices. I used to buy a sheet of 4X8 OSB for about $7 per sheet. It is now $35 per sheet. A 2X4 stud used to be about $2.00, but now is sitting at about $8.00. I talked to the "salesman" in the lumber department, and he expressed his disgust on the prices and added that he has put off all his home improvement projects for almost 2 years. Lots of people looking for alternatives to using wood until the prices come back down to a reasonable price.

I built some steel panel raised beds last spring using corrugated metal sheet panels instead of using solid wood. Basically, just using the wood for a frame and then screwing the metal panels on to the frame. Saved myself lots of money on those builds. Also, I decided to make 4X4 raised beds instead of my typical 4X8 raised beds - because I had lots of scrap lumber left over from other projects. My scrap 2X4's were not 8 feet long, but I had enough pieces over 4 feet to make those 4X4 beds. I will be building some more smaller 4X4 beds this spring. Already have the lumber cut to size and the metal panels in the garage ready to cut to size.

Good morning gardeners. Just a quick weather update. The ice and snow are finally gone. Yay!

:idunno Well, that's great for you. As for me, we are in the middle of a winter blizzard today with snow forecast through the weekend. Snowing and blowing where I live. Guess I'll just watch some more gardening videos on YouTube and catch up on the BYC forums this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom