What did you do in the garden today?

We purchased it in Feb 2020, right before Covid hit. The previous homeowner had passed away. We actually "adopted" his chickens & goats as part of the sale since his heirs had no earthly idea what to do with them. Because he had been elderly & sick for a while, the place was a bit overgrown. We've cleaned up most of the property but left some scrub brush around a giant oak that sits right in the center of our back pasture. We left the brush so the chickens could hide in them and the goats like to eat them. Seemed innocent enough. I had no idea that there was a cattle panel laying on the ground over there. And it has been there long enough that the grass and scrub brush has grown over & into it....which helped obscure it.

Believe me, we are finding all kinds of stuff in random places around this place. In the house, in the barn, in the attic. They left us all kinds of wood, roof panels, tile, cattle equipment, rope, shelves. Basically stuff that has been incredibly useful around the farm.
More useful than what we’ve found! Old tires, beer bottles, TVs, toilets.....

Picked and ate the first ear of corn today! It was small but it tasted great. The first pumpkin is starting to color up and the sunflowers are about to go crazy, we planted thousands and they are just about to start blooming. The giant ones that I have a few rows of in the garden are around 8-9ft. Our record from a few years back was 16ft though! I also included a picture of yesterday’s harvest. The pinto beans are starting to produce as well.

I’m also sorry to say that I’m about to let the garden fend for itself I’ll be insanely busy with school come August and I just won’t have the time or energy to keep up with it beyond picking.
C5BA665D-98C2-4DA2-AB85-03B34B059EC1.jpeg
F06EA04C-8D7E-4CE5-8589-C03567AC24B7.jpeg
7CD1F2DF-CDE1-4CF4-96AA-CFCFFB06D90B.jpeg
524F5EB4-3CA6-4B13-BAC2-6DCDDEBE1DB8.jpeg
0EBBEB4B-13C4-4EAE-98EC-B40B8C890BA9.jpeg
D3087249-96A9-47F5-AD4C-9036120204B2.jpeg

:hit :barnie I broke my favorite Bypass Pruner (Black + Decker, Model BD1176-12) a few days ago. Found the original packaging which boasts a 10 year warranty. Purchase receipt of 12/19/19 at Menards. Went to Menards to replace the item - no longer sold at Menards. OK, disappointing. Went to Black+Decker website, item no longer in their catalogue. Not looking so good for me at this point. Called the 1-800 number, waited on line forever, eventually was disconnected before actually talking to anyone. Sent an email warranty request but expect the same service. Very disappointing and unless there is a happy ending somewhere in the future, I will not buy more products from Black+Decker.

1625848045090.png

Here is what I am dealing with. Jaws came apart/broke. And yes, screw is tight.

20210708_201429[1].jpg

Currently using other Bypass Prunners, but they are not as strong. Until this prunner broke, it really was my favorite.

Now that I can appreciate a good prunner from junk, would anyone care to direct me to a good quality prunner that will last? I cut lots of branches off limbs before I send them through the wood chipper. So I need a well built hand prunner that will stand up over time. Thanks.

Moles are the bane of my backyard and chicken yards. We have tons of them....and they drive my dog insane so she has dug so many holes and trenches that it would put a WW2 battalion to shame. I keep expecting to look outside and see her in an army helmet throwing grenades from the trenches she has dug.....

I don't want to put down poison because of the animals.... I tried some other stuff which is non-toxic, but it didn't work.
Another thing (besides the bindweed and multiple persistent broody hens) that we have in common.... I fell after stepping back into one the other day. Glad no one saw me and I wasn't seriously hurt. They are hard to see when the grass grows. Think tiger traps from Swiss Family Robinson.

Sounds like the more you inspect the property, the more good stuff you find. Every day is like a treasure hunt.

Oh yes, definitely a treasure hunt.... I found a brand new paint brush, an old screwdriver, and a digital thermometer that you might stick on a window all within the goat house (which has no windows) yesterday....

The previous homeowner used to be a firearms instructor (among other things). I keep wondering if we are going to uncover a hidden cache of ammunition or weapons or something.... 😂

On a more serious note, it looks like he left random objects in random places sometimes.... I did meet him once before we put an offer on the house. He didn't seem like he had dementia or anything but my grandmother didn't either. When she passed away, we learned afterwards just how badly she was suffering from paranoid dementia. It's a very sad disease.....

Back
Top Bottom