What did you do in the garden today?

To make the pfeffernuse light or Dark
1/2 C shortening
3/4 C Brown sugar (packed)
3 Eggs
1/2 C molasses (for light omit)
3 drop Anise (buy in a pharmacy old) Now use Amazon...
1/4 cup Hot water
3 1/2 C flour (more if needed)
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp Cloves (I use more, Grandmas had a bite)

Oven moderate 350..
Mix wet ingredients then add dry. If dough seams soft refrigerate Roll into 3/4 inch balls ..
Bake 8 to 10 minutes .. This was a favorite Geerman cookie in our house

I loved my pecan trees. When I moved here 8 yrs ago, I had 5 big beautiful pecan trees. Two fell over and had to be removed, wet and rotten inside, two had to be cut down. I feel like a black thumb tree grower. The one pecan tree isn't doing well. No pecans this year, hopefully I can help it next year. I did have a pin oak tree that was split into two trunks- one bent over the chicken yard, one straight up. I asked the tree guy to cut the bent trunk down- he cut the straight one. Oh well. Trees are expensive to cut down and have removed. If they were not so expensive, I would cut down that huge magnolia tree and put up something better- maybe a dogwood. Until the money fairy gifts me, I guess I will continue to pick up those seed pods, rake leaves and pick up all those infernal sticks.
I miss our mature pecan trees in Alabama SO much. I just ordered a giant box of pecans. Real pecans, freshly harvested, of different varieties, taste SO much better than bleh mass harvest ones that are heaven knows how old.
My favorites are Desirables, stewarts, and Cherry Lee

Last edited:
Aloha kakahiaka gardeners! Sending warm thoughts your way- Have an awesome and safe day!
20201213_132609~2.jpg
20201213_132554.jpg

Morning all. Regarding saurkraut, I'm with you @NewBoots. I wasn't a fan when I was a kid but I learned how to cook it when I got older. My mother would open a can and heat it up, yuck! I make mine with bacon, onions and apples and thicken the pan drippings then add the rinsed canned sauerkraut and let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Very tasty.
I've made a copy of your recipe (my memory requires even simple things written down now) and I'll definitely try it, it sounds good!
Finally got my test results for covid . We are all negative . So I guess this last illness was just a cold . Over it now .
So glad to hear it. Another friend back in Portland had to be tested and was very worried as was her room-mate, but it seems her's was a cold as well. Such scary times. I might well just keep wearing a mask when I am out and about even if the vaccine works a miracle, I haven't had a cold since before last Christmas.

I had a bunch of egg yolks left over from using the whites for the pecans, so we're having a nice quiche with a bread pudding for desert for lunch.

@TropicalBabies on my small screen. Is that a lizard butt in there??
OMG it is! :love

:lau
I remember the day I was out all day clearing sago palms. I came in and started supper, went out and met they school bus (in retrospect got a weird look from the bus driver) We sat down to eat and DH how long I was going to leave the lizard in my hair.

WTH people! If a woman has a lizard on her head, you SAY something. Good Lord.

Back
Top Bottom