What did you do in the garden today?

20201003_150923.jpg

The last time I did what you said with the angle of that eye I ended up bending the threaded metal which lead to a sag. But that was on a giant gate with much more weight. The door is going to be wood because that's the north side. No need for anything clear on that side. I am actually putting the wooden wall up now with that dog ear fencing board. I start at the Hinge and go to the near side, then I start again at the hinge and do the door and the far side. I will go take a picture.View attachment 2359711

I like to start at the hinge so I do not need a rip sawed board near the most delicate point of the wall.I need to make sure the wall does not make the hinge/joints immobile. I only screwed 2 boards on and then realized I was hungry enough for a lunch break.

View attachment 2359715
I am either going to need to rip saw a board which is not easy with this wood due knots causing the wood to break when rip sawed, or have a bit of an over hang which may or may not be a problem. Cross that bridge when I get to it I guess.

View attachment 2359716

Above is a view from the inside, Depending how cold it gets inside I make have to use silicone caulk at the cracks. I am not going to stress it too much because it might not get cold enough for that to matter. Nothing wrong with a little bit of fresh air coming in the cracks and on this vary cold days I can throw an old blanket on the wall to stop any drafts.

I still have a 1 foot gap up top, not hard to fix but I am leaving it open until the day before the first frost. I may discover I need more vents and fans and that gap is where they would go.
LOVE IT!

I might win a Darwin award if I see a Mountain Lion or some other big cat. My instinct when I see a cat is to pet it. I just love cats of all types and sizes. I was at the Cincinnati Zoo a few years ago and standing next to some glass where there were animals and a large cat walked up to the glass right next to me and I instinctively went to pet it but my hand hit the glass which woke me up back to reality. I swear cats put me in a trance... however I would not start going through someones farm to check out the animals. I live in a city and people just start going through your property thinking its ok as long as they are checking out the animals. They get the chickens all stirred up and then they start flying over fences they normally would not even consider flying over to get away from the people checking them out. I ended up putting up privacy fencing and locks which annoy me because I have to lock and unlock doors/gates just to go from the front yard to the back yard when before I just easily walked. The is something wrong with city folks.
This story reminds me of the Dallas zoo watching the lions there musking people. Nothing like a golden shower from messing with the big cats. I guess their ticket price got them a bit extra.

The last time I did what you said with the angle of that eye I ended up bending the threaded metal which lead to a sag. But that was on a giant gate with much more weight. The door is going to be wood because that's the north side. No need for anything clear on that side. I am actually putting the wooden wall up now with that dog ear fencing board. I start at the Hinge and go to the near side, then I start again at the hinge and do the door and the far side. I will go take a picture.View attachment 2359711

I like to start at the hinge so I do not need a rip sawed board near the most delicate point of the wall.I need to make sure the wall does not make the hinge/joints immobile. I only screwed 2 boards on and then realized I was hungry enough for a lunch break.

View attachment 2359715
I am either going to need to rip saw a board which is not easy with this wood due knots causing the wood to break when rip sawed, or have a bit of an over hang which may or may not be a problem. Cross that bridge when I get to it I guess.

View attachment 2359716

Above is a view from the inside, Depending how cold it gets inside I make have to use silicone caulk at the cracks. I am not going to stress it too much because it might not get cold enough for that to matter. Nothing wrong with a little bit of fresh air coming in the cracks and on this vary cold days I can throw an old blanket on the wall to stop any drafts.

I still have a 1 foot gap up top, not hard to fix but I am leaving it open until the day before the first frost. I may discover I need more vents and fans and that gap is where they would go.
It’s looking really good!

New plan of attack for the oleanders. I already had a large curved scalloped edge thing in front of each plant. I decided to move those forward a little bit and add smaller versions on each end to make a half circle. Then I’ll pull out the two that aren’t doing well and replace with two more I bought today and mulch the whole bed with wood chips and water each plant individually. I’ve been really unhappy with the soaker hose out there but can still use elsewhere around a single shrub or small grouping. I also picked up an Italian oregano to add to the herbs I have already. I still want to put in some marjoram too.

It’s looking really good!
TY, its not one of my usual slap together scrap refuge chicken coop build.
IMG_7059.JPG

I ripped sawed the edge board (above) and the remaining board ended up being useful later on (below)
IMG_7060.JPG
IMG_7062.JPG

Finished up to the end of the door (above) and a view from the inside (below)
IMG_7068.JPG
IMG_7070.JPG

That extra Rip Sawed board just happened to be the size I needed to complete the door. I love it when things just magically line up because I have little use for a ripped board with this type of wood.(above), I made the door for the vent/fan (below)
IMG_7071.JPG
IMG_7072.JPG

Outside View:Closed (above) Open (below)
IMG_7073.JPG

IMG_7074.JPG

Inside View: Closed (above) Open (below)
IMG_7075.JPG

And then 5 o'clock happened and that's when I tend to animals and wrap it up for the night. Chances are I will go back out and do a few things before sun down but nothing major. If I start heavy lifting or intense thinking I will lose my ability to go to bed at a decent hour.

Attachments

• IMG_7073.JPG
    IMG_7073.JPG
    518.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm sooo behind, been away wheeling & camping all weekend.

@penny1960 - OMG I love him! He is so cute!

@NewBoots I like to pickle carrots with cauliflower & celery. Same recipe you would do for dilly beans or dill pickles.

I'm feeling overwhelmed, so much to do in the garden & yard before it's too cold. I'm going to pull all the tomatoes & make another batch of salsa verde this week. Also going to pull all the beans & save the seeds & rip out the overgrown chives. I got the shallot sets, they need to go in ASAP (hopefully tomorrow). The garlic can wait a bit. But the cover crop needs to go in NOW. I need to sift out the compost & get that out. I need to do the fall cleaning of the coops & get the plastic up shortly. Dig out the heated waterers & prepare for the new pullets coming soon. Winterize everything. Sooo much to do! I love fall!

Have a good night all.

Back
Top Bottom