What did you do in the garden today?

I made the Christmas Jam today! I think I copied the recipe down from someone's post on here. It turned out real good! I may a little less sugar next time even though I know you aren't supposed to mess canning recipes. I also made a huge batch of vegetable beef soup. Oh, and I made a batch of chocolate fudge with pecans in it. If I have enough time left after I finish eating a bowl of soup I am going to take a bunch of fallen branches to the stump that I haven't burnt all the way out yet. It's too windy today to light it, but I can have everything ready.
Tomorrow I go to my friend's house in the morning to can some jams and jellies with her. I have 2 gallon ziploc baggies bursting with grapes that I want to get made into jam or jelly and she has some blackberries and I think something else too in her freezer that she wants tuse up. I may also need to make another batch of peach chipoltle jam as my sister in law tried it when she was here and really liked it. I'd like to gift her with a jar of it for Christmas. I have some sliced peaches in the freezer from when I picked peaches last year, so I could use those to make the jam!

I got home from the paint party and saw that the fudge I left on the counter had been on the floor. Evidenced by the crumbs on the floor. Apparently my hubby and his friend left while I was gone and the dog or the cats knocked the fudge to the floor off the counter, got it out of the foil it was wrapped in and ate about half of it! Evidence by what my hubby thought were fork marks all over the back side of the fudge. They said the dog was locked in the bathroom when they got home from the store, so they were really confused about what happened.
Personally, I think the dog or the cats knocked it off the counter and then the dog ate a bunch of it after ripping off the foil. Then she wandered down the hall and went in the bathroom and the door swung shut after her, locking her in. (This happens frequently and we have to go let her out, the cats can use their claws to open the bathroom door as long as it hasn't been pulled all the way shut.
I hope she didn't eat enough to hurt herself! Plus I'm glad I at least took about a forth of the pan of fudge to the paint night with me.

Once I got home I went ahead and cooked the grapes from the freezer and strained them. I got 21 cups of juice from them for making jelly tomorrow! That's a lot of juice!

I don't drink much juice. Being a diabetic, I have been told not to because juice breaks down into sugar too fast since there is no flesh or pulp for your body to process.

I have been selling some of my jams and jellies in the past few months and I plan to give many away as Christmas presents, so they will be used. :lau I also don't eat much jam or jelly, again because of the sugar content. I do make lots of low sugar varieties though.

TFQA1013.JPG

IMG_4956.JPG

Here are the pictures we did.I'm seated on the right, my Mom is seated next to me. My niece is to my left, her friend is in the red and my friend is next to her (the tallest one). My friend that owns the winery has her back to the camera and has a pony tail. Her daughter is another friend of mine, but she is not pictured. Another friend of mine came too and brought her Mom, her Mother-in-law and 2 other friends from Girl Scouts. Counting me, we made up more than half of the group!

Good frosty morning gardeners. We got 2 more inches of snow yesterday. Then there's the furnace: still not working correctly. The repairman will be back on Monday afternoon. Sorry @Sueby, I really wasn't thinking of you when I started calling my little red hen "Suzy Q." I just got tired of calling her "chicken." She is doing much better. Her comb is getting redder and pretty much upright now. Her appetite has greatly improved and has been eating well this morning. I gave her meal worms yesterday and she got a little scrambled egg this morning. The temps are climbing up to near 50F on Monday and Tuesday so I'm hoping to get her back with the flock by then. No plans for any outside work today. I may try to dig a path to the bird feeder and fill it. But I've been doing so much digging and lifting lately I think I need to slow down a bit. Tomorrow is laundry day so there's carrying laundry up and down the stairs. I did manage to finish decorating the sunroom Christmas tree. I will likely put another in the living room. Have fun with all your holiday preps and have a great day.

Back
Top Bottom