What did you do in the garden today?

LOL, we were a-sitting when suddenly a pop came from the hood over the stove. It had arc flashed all by itself. PO did bad wiring. We were able to fix that. But his work was better than the new guy the widow married after the PO passed away. He built a deck out back...set it right on bare fir 2x6s just waiting to rot. One pull with the dually pickup and 2/3 of that deck came right off. Critters like scorpions just love places you can't get to, so do rattlesnakes.

Cleaning up after the PO is part and parcel of buying a used home. But new homes have no soul, imho.

So true! Older homes do usually have more personality. We had an old home in a city and we loved the personality of the place. Did not love the original wood siding due to maintenance, but that home had a very warm and pleasing personality (Like all the past owners just loved it and took good care of it).

Spouse and I often giggle about one home we looked at years ago. The owner definitely loved his house and decided to shower it with handy-man attention. We (amateurs) could clearly tell that he was learning as he went...several giggle worthy upgrades, like the slightly bowed glass block half-wall added to provide some room definition, the "updated" half bath with "oops, we forgot to plan for the new dimensions" band-aid type fixes, the owner built deck that had some appearance issues, etc. Too bad you can tell PO work from the 2nd husband PO work I guess they had their own unique styles. :lau

Scorpions and rattlesnakes...:barnie

We will re-do the landscaping to some extent around the house. For example there is a pathetic red-bud that is planted in the front yard. It isn't growing much bc it gets FULL sun and ALL the wind from the west, so it will be removed and likely we will put in something else to be more of a landscape tree with visual interest (and wind tolerance) since it will be in the front yard, along with a few other modifications. The wood "walls" like raised beds on one side of the house are very deteriorated. They only have 2 pathetic bushes and 1 conical and small tree in them right now, but that side is COMPLETELY shaded, so I have some Hellebores on order (Lenten Rose) as they did really well in a previous home in a shady area, and might add a Hosta or two - but not a huge fan of Hostas, so will only add if I have space. We plan to plant 3-5 fruit trees - luckily in an area without anything planted. But first, must figure out where to put the 5 Raspberry plants!

BF took back just to the left of Chickens but their run use go there before we gave them the garbage area not that the second owners composted no this is trash we patrol allot picking out glass not from the 30's more like the 90's we have been here 5 years BF was a See bee in Vietnam think I put that right ? So he does as I ask build this fix that we make a great pair

BF took back just to the left of Chickens but their run use go there before we gave them the garbage area not that the second owners composted no this is trash we patrol allot picking out glass not from the 30's more like the 90's we have been here 5 years BF was a See bee in Vietnam think I put that right ? So he does as I ask build this fix that we make a great pair

It is such a blessing when you get along with your significant other. Working well together is half the battle I think. You make me think of me and my hubs when you talk about your relationship. :love

A1B3481C-2C4E-4A02-A0BD-E0A8D9FAEF79.jpeg
Although we don’t have calchie the ground here is a challenge. My friend brought over his auger, huge machine he uses to plant trees. It barely fit through my 12’ double access gate. After 4 holes and lots of cussing I told him thank you that’s great! I would of liked more but I just didn’t want to take advantage. And he mumbled something about a new drill bit. My grapes and berries have the best holes & soil. I have to soak and dig a little at a time. I can’t use knee pads. I use outdoor pillows and old barstool seats and a crowbar. So my planting holes are as deep as I can reach laying down (2.5’). Adaptations cause I’m not exactly a spring chicken with titanium in my back and a hip that dictates what I get done...it’s all good.

View attachment 1730860 Although we don’t have calchie the ground here is a challenge. My friend brought over his auger, huge machine he uses to plant trees. It barely fit through my 12’ double access gate. After 4 holes and lots of cussing I told him thank you that’s great! I would of liked more but I just didn’t want to take advantage. And he mumbled something about a new drill bit. My grapes and berries have the best holes & soil. I have to soak and dig a little at a time. I can’t use knee pads. I use outdoor pillows and old barstool seats and a crowbar. So my planting holes are as deep as I can reach laying down (2.5’). Adaptations cause I’m not exactly a spring chicken with titanium in my back and a hip that dictates what I get done...it’s all good.

Oooh, titanium! My husband has some in his back too. So glad you're doing things to stay active, hubs says that's half the battle. Find a way and just keep doing.

Pardon my southern accent, but crush and run as spoken in the Tar Heel state is actually "crusher run" stone. It is used in applications where good drainage is needed such as drainage fields and driveways. Sorry for any confusion. Although I am a New Englander now and loving it, I'm still a southern country girl at heart.

I getcha. We call it Road Base in Texas, but we do say it comes from the Crusher. The fine stuff left over after all the various road base is made, we call that Crusher Tailings or Mill Tailings. It's only good for paths because it compacts too much into almost a cement.

We built our house. It’s all ADA specific. Every thing is correct for a wheelchair. From the counter in the guest bathroom to doorways and doorknobs. It’s our forever home. My plan was to move my parents in. Dad passed away after only being in the house once. Got mom to move to Caliente but she wanted her own house for as long as she’s able (bit stubborn)
Living in a small town has advantages but access to supplies for building or landscaping can be a nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom