What did you do in the garden today?

Well I dragged myself outside and took the snow blower to the driveway, (need to make sure the paramedics can make it my door, you never know). Just checked the weather forecast - more of the same on Sunday night. :barnieSnow, sleet then freezing rain. I think Hell has really frozen over :th! Maybe if we all chant "Welcome Spring" at 3:00 pm EST today it will make it so! Please.....

Have you thought about using popsicle makers? You could pop a hole in the bottom for drainage. Just a thought?

That's not a bad idea. I have a few concerns about popcicle makers. The first being that though they are deep they're not very big around, not leaving a lot of room for the natural spread of the roots. We have a short growing season and our seed starting indoors season runs a full 12 weeks. More soil makes a big difference there.
The second being that the options seem to be a brittle plastic that will still break under our rough conditions (I'm still hoping for something that can be accidentally stepped on without breaking! D and I are clumsy and G is unobservant, so things get stepped on a lot around here...) or a floppy silicone mold. The silicone molds may be practical to use, I would have to try an experiment to see how they hold up under growing conditions. Tearing might be a problem. I imagine the weight of the wet soil would be sufficient to give them structural integrity but that may also depend on the brand.
Last consideration, they're still a little expensive. Looking into it, it looks like they're $19 for a 10-pop maker, which isn't bad at all ($2/"pot") but given they're not the best shape for growing I wonder about the value of it. I'm more time rich money poor so if I can get away with a similar price making my own to the shapes/sizes I want I would prefer that.

I'm going to throw this onto my list of "things to try" though and see if I have the resources to try it.

Sun out again but cold as all billy he*l, more snow (we just get rid of the last) predicted next 2 days I prayed for spring facepalm-smiley-emoticon.gif

I did take down some fencing in prep of moving a butterfly garden. I was going to dig up my keeper plants. The ground is still frozen so that didn't happen.

I took more measurements for where exactly my small harbor freight greenhouse can go. I have 2 choices really......
North of the garden and 9' East of a privacy fence. :hmm
Or south end and 13' from the same privacy fence. :hmm
I think the South location will be best so it doesn't shade my planting area.

Much easier to move it on graph paper!

Putting it up has been put off for several years now. :(

The first location was taken up with an emergency coop and run.
Nowhere to put it at all until I lost 2 trees last year. Still sad about my fruit trees but at least now I have a place to put the greenhouse.

I hope it is more productive than the fruit trees were.

Back
Top Bottom