What did you do in the garden today?

Celebrity. Great producer of very uniform tomatoes. Great for slicing. Not too big, not too small. Nice flavor. This will be our third year growing them.

Better Boy: also a good one we’ve planted last year. We will grow again this year.

Terracotta: nope nope nope. They nearly all rotted on the vine. It was weird. But if the ones we tried, they were just “Meh”.

Early Girl: neighbor plants these religiously. Every year. He’s very happy with these. Good producers too. Uniform.
Thank you!!! ❤️

They're like triffids here. Right now several tall ones that are growing next to my property (but in the woods) are blooming, and it's a nasty sweet smell. Blech.
Re: privet hedge. It’s evil. Don’t do it. I think it was some government project to make us cuss or blow ourselves up (removing roots).
We had cut a good size one - big enough to be a fence post. Left it out for over a year, drying on side. When I used it not only did it start growing it sent out more!!! It’s evil

I got cucumber seeds in the ground, worked around the dumb bunnies. :rant Some more borage planted. Everything watered.

Got the plastic off the small run & shade cloth up. Got the fig tree outside & covered with shade cloth since it's super sunny. Next couple days should be cloudy.

5 loads of wood chips spread (1 pile saved) & then the tractor broke. DH is fixing it, I need to turn the compost & get a couple pots for flowers on the deck so hopefully he can get it done.

I ended up with 17 bok choi plants in 16 pots. One is doubled up. And I found that my keyboard stand is just the right height to support the tomato plants next to the window.

When I plant the bok choi in the garden I'll cut the bottom 1/3 of the pots off, leaving the top section in place as cutworm collars.

IMG_3997.JPG IMG_3999.JPG IMG_4001.JPG

Need to venture out & try a new slicing tomato. The only one I eat is Brandywine, but I want to try something new. Anyone see anything I should try on the list?

View attachment 3820753
I really like black krim. I'm growing the yellow Brandywine this year as well. Cherokee purple is good. It really depends on the acid level you want, and your climate/soil/pest/disease pressure though. I'd pick based on those things.

Need to venture out & try a new slicing tomato. The only one I eat is Brandywine, but I want to try something new. Anyone see anything I should try on the list?

View attachment 3820753
Roma is a plum tomato, but my dh slices them for his sandwiches.

German Johnson is also good, but it's not on the list.

View attachment 3820753
Celebrity is also resistant to a blight I get.
Early girl is good because it's well early 😂
San Mariano is probably the best for canning. Not usually for slicing since it's long not round. It's a Roma type which doesn't have much juice .

Back
Top Bottom