What colour are these hens?

Ylva

Songster
Jun 3, 2021
Norway
What patterns do you see in these hens? What color are they?
I don’t know the genotype; they are mixed breeds, and I haven’t bred them myself.

2981F46F-C81B-43CD-965F-B7CD00B9E0D4.jpeg

Left: unknown breed.
Right: RIR x Cream Legbar. Crossed with an ayam cemani rooster, she got 50% black barred (?) chicks with yellow skin, beak, feet and eyes, and 50% chicks with black skin, feet and some pattern I don’t recognise yet. Any suggestions on their pattern? I guess the two barred ones are cockerels?

The chicks from the RIR/CL x Ayam cemani looked like these (sorry for the bad pictures, the barring in the two pictured on top doesn’t show very clearly here):
0855CCCA-1E5C-44DB-B00F-7BA40FC7FF2C.jpeg

Any suggestions on these two as well? Barnevelder/bantam kochin mix, and serama/silkie mix:

6C3B8822-4349-486C-89ED-D96FC124B798.jpeg
FFC423BF-81D8-47F7-BDB6-39A965E972F6.jpeg

Left top looks like a gold duckwing, but theoretically she could be an unpatterned partridge. I can’t tell without seeing the breast. A salmon breast would mean duckwing and brown means partridge.
The closest name for the RIRxLegbar would be barred red Columbian but because of the interraction of wheaten and duckwing it’s more like a nonsense color. The genotype would be ewh/e+Co/co+Mh/mh+B/-

Thank you for your reply! 😊 Here’s a better picture of her breast:View attachment 3347242
Duckwing.

Do you mean mix or cross? Genetics-wise I’m going to assume cross, are there other things mixed in?
For the Barnevelder cross it’s tricky because she doesn’t look how I would expect a Barnevelder cross to look, I would expect more patterning. But she looks to have wheaten so if I had to guess, I would think the Cochin was red.
That would make her
e^wh/e^bPg/pg+Mh/MhMl/ml+Db/db+
I don’t know what I’d call it though.
The closest term for the Silkie Serama mix would be gold partridge. If I had to guess I’d say she has eb partridge and pg pattern gene, but I don’t know what causes the bright gold. Perhaps wheaten.

Duckwing.

Do you mean mix or cross? Genetics-wise I’m going to assume cross, are there other things mixed in?
For the Barnevelder cross it’s tricky because she doesn’t look how I would expect a Barnevelder cross to look, I would expect more patterning. But she looks to have wheaten so if I had to guess, I would think the Cochin was red.
That would make her
e^wh/e^bPg/pg+Mh/MhMl/ml+Db/db+
I don’t know what I’d call it though.
The closest term for the Silkie Serama mix would be gold partridge. If I had to guess I’d say she has eb partridge and pg pattern gene, but I don’t know what causes the bright gold. Perhaps wheaten.
English isn’t my native language. 😅 What’s the difference between cross and mix?

Thank you for your help! I got the Barnevelder/kochin from someone else, so I haven’t seen the parent birds. Perhaps the Barnevelder wasn’t purebred, or the owner got the birds or eggs mixed up.

A "cross" would normally be used for a first generation cross between two known breeds. A mix would involve more than two breeds and therefore more of a "mix" of colors and patterns.

The top left is partridge pattern which is basically double laced with columbian plus gold shafts on dark brown feathers. The speckled salt and pepper effect in the feathers is difficult to breed out in crosses.
Ah, that makes sense! They are crosses then😊

I got some better pictures of the chicks from the RIR/CL hen and the ayam cemani rooster. Is this lacing (Pg?) and barring, or something else? Are lacing dominant/incomplete dominant?

They are five weeks old.
The two first pictures is of the chick without barring, the last two is the barred one.

C9234289-EAF7-4A5E-94CA-7371B1627BB3.jpeg
D7AB1161-357F-4626-9EED-7157718FCD9A.jpeg

D31E5183-64DE-48CF-8DED-25A2E21EACCE.jpeg
914D4A9C-AC77-4C85-9DC3-9F77BFF36725.jpeg

Attachments

• EA75B281-0530-45ED-B9F1-B5D6F38EC636.jpeg
    EA75B281-0530-45ED-B9F1-B5D6F38EC636.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 3
The first seems to have some silver breast lacing, which is a common form of leakage on hens.
The second is barred, and unusually dark-skinned for a barred bird.
The lacing isn’t caused by a lacing gene, but rather, a lack of melanizers, which allows for some silver on the edge of the feathers.
The first one is female and the second is male.

Back
Top Bottom