What color will this chick be?

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
Hi,
I have a Golden Laced Cochin male and a black cochin female? What will the chick grow up to look like? I mean, can it have lacing like the male?

One of these is the father

daddy.jpg

Here is the chick. This is the hen who sat and hatched out the chick but is NOT the mama. (She just went broody and I put the eggs under her)

lacyandbaby.jpg

lacyandchick.jpg

This is what the Mom looks like

cochins031.jpg

Thanks,

I have no clue how to answer your questions (new to chicken raising) but OMG! I just love that mom and baby picture... makes me want more baby chicks, the girls just grew up so fast (still love 'em but love the babies too!)

Chicks should grow out to be Black, Males should have some Gold in there neck and maybe in there wings.
There shouldn't be any lacing.

Chris

Thanks "its". I love the babies too. They are so precious. Well, thanks, Chris. Maybe then I can tell which is a boy, faster!

When I crossed solid with laced in wyandottes the males were mostly solid with some brassyness in the hackle and wing bow, the hens had a smidge of color around the top of the neck. If you mate this chick back to a gold laced you should get better laced males and females with some poor mossy lacing.

Back
Top Bottom