What Color is this Silkie Chick?

BaileyJean

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
I have a Silkie chick that I do not know what color it is. It came from a Splash x Splash pen, and is 3 1/2 months old. I thought splash x splash produced splash, but this chick is solid colored. Here is some pictures, please let me know what you think!
This is her back.

There is a glare that makes the right side look white, but she is the same color all over

Here is a wing picture:

I really hope it is a lavender!!! That would be so cool! I have been researching how you get a lavender, but I am still not really sure on it. I have never seen a lavender in person, but have been looking at them online. If this chick is a lavender (self-blue) that means that one of my hens or rooster carries the gene, right? This chick would be a split, wouldn't it?

IF that chick is lavender, and not a splash which has not shown it's spots...BOTH parents would have to carry lavender. They are only produced when there are two copies of the lavender gene present. The only way you might tell if it is an odd splash or lavender is to wait till it is mature and then breed it to a black bird. If it is splash, you'll get all blues. If it is lavender you'll get all blacks.

If I bred it back to its dad, wouldn't I get more lavenders (if it is a lavender)?Because its dad must carry the lavender gene. I didn't know that some splashes do not have spots, what causes that?

If I bred it back to its dad, wouldn't I get more lavenders (if it is a lavender)?Because its dad must carry the lavender gene. I didn't know that some splashes do not have spots, what causes that?

inbreeding is really not a good idea, i have noticed in my silkie flock since they are so closely related they tend to get deformations very easily. (i have since gotten rid of roos and added other birds into my flock.)

Ok, I am pretty new to this
hu.gif
I have just read on other posts, people breed them back to their parents to get the colors they want.

yea, i have also read this but in my personal experience with silkies the babies have extra toes or messed up legs. this might have just been a bad gene in my flock though.

Back
Top Bottom