What causes developing fertile eggs to die?

I went to the ladies house I would be looking for any with signs of infection looking at the ent as well as how they are walking/swimming looking for tilting
So I’m currently having this issue. I have Silver Appleyard ducks who are in Greta shape and less than a year old. I collected eggs and set them exactly according to specifications in Holderreads book. I’ve done this before with excellent results. The first time around I set 22 eggs in my NR360 and I think 17 were viable and fertile. Around the 2-3 week mark I lost 8 of them and then upon hatching lost 2 and so only 7 hatched. I’ve now got more eggs setting and having similar issues where they are just dying after having 3 weeks of great development. Any insight from anyone would be appreciated

So I’m currently having this issue. I have Silver Appleyard ducks who are in Greta shape and less than a year old. I collected eggs and set them exactly according to specifications in Holderreads book. I’ve done this before with excellent results. The first time around I set 22 eggs in my NR360 and I think 17 were viable and fertile. Around the 2-3 week mark I lost 8 of them and then upon hatching lost 2 and so only 7 hatched. I’ve now got more eggs setting and having similar issues where they are just dying after having 3 weeks of great development. Any insight from anyone would be aappreciat

So I’m currently having this issue. I have Silver Appleyard ducks who are in Greta shape and less than a year old. I collected eggs and set them exactly according to specifications in Holderreads book. I’ve done this before with excellent results. The first time around I set 22 eggs in my NR360 and I think 17 were viable and fertile. Around the 2-3 week mark I lost 8 of them and then upon hatching lost 2 and so only 7 hatched. I’ve now got more eggs setting and having similar issues where they are just dying after having 3 weeks of great development. Any insight from anyone would be appreciated
I wish I knew you've had more luck than me . but I know I've had the same problem. Plz let me know if you find out. Im actually trying again I have 33 in a 48 egg incubator the yellow lid one . im praying

Practice good hygiene when your handling the incubator and the eggs.

The human hand has a lot of bacteria just from handling day to day things. Transferring the pathogen back and forth each time you touch it.

I usually sterilized my hands with hydrogen peroxide or wear a pair of clean rubber gloves before handing the incubator and eggs.

Just a suggestion.

When you say that you've hatched eggs before and had great results, were the eggs also from young ducks (<a year old)? I've found that, sometimes, young layers' eggs are more prone to hatching issues than mature layers.

Also, have you already verified the accuracy of temperature and humidity readings with a separate thermometer and hygrometer?

There are a number of possible reasons for what you're experiencing, including lack of genetic diversity - how closely are the parent stock related? What happened with the two ducklings that died during hatch?

I know how disappointing it is to have what seems like a promising hatch not work out that way. Best of luck in tracking down the source of the issue(s)!

Practice good hygiene when your handling the incubator and the eggs.

The human hand has a lot of bacteria just from handling day to day things. Transferring the pathogen back and forth each time you touch it.

I usually sterilized my hands with hydrogen peroxide or wear a pair of clean rubber gloves before handing the incubator and eggs.

Just a suggestion.
x2 on wearing gloves (I wear nitrile) while handling the eggs during incubation, including while candling

When you say that you've hatched eggs before and had great results, were the eggs also from young ducks (<a year old)? I've found that, sometimes, young layers' eggs are more prone to hatching issues than mature layers.

Also, have you already verified the accuracy of temperature and humidity readings with a separate thermometer and hygrometer?

There are a number of possible reasons for what you're experiencing, including lack of genetic diversity - how closely are the parent stock related? What happened with the two ducklings that died during hatch?

I know how disappointing it is to have what seems like a promising hatch not work out that way. Best of luck in tracking down the source of the issue(s)!
Yes I’ve hatched eggs from birds less than a year old with good success.

Yes humidity and temp confirmed with external instruments.

Genetic diversity should be good. These birds came from a hatchery and then I supplemented with hatching eggs from a farmer online who had a very robust flock and combining those two as first generation should be diverse enough I would think.

I got told they needed to incubate at 65% then up to 75% to 80% and stopped the 25 turning but I learned there suppose to be 55% then stop and increase humidity and lower temp. I didn't know to lower the temp either . and I've talked to experienced breeders in my area . I keep hearing mist them

I got told they needed to incubate at 65% then up to 75% to 80% and stopped the 25 turning but I learned there suppose to be 55% then stop and increase humidity and lower temp. I didn't know to lower the temp either . and I've talked to experienced breeders in my area . I keep hearing mist them
O and I tried hatching at the begging of winter like a smart person . my green is showing . I'm new to hatching ducks I've hatched chickens in my incubators

Back
Top Bottom