What breeds lay blue eggs

The ones I know of are Easter Eggers (not really an official breed per se), Ameracauna (sp?), Aracauna (sp?), and Crested Cream Legbars. Hope this helps.

Yeah, the EE's tend to lay a more blue/green egg. Though if you are going to breed them you could aim for more true blue eggs. That's what I'm planning to do.

Below is a pic of the first egg laid by my EE. It looks blue to me! I understand EE's will lay a variety of shades but don't think you'll have any idea what shade until they actually lay one.

That's a very pretty blue egg! Yeah as far as I know you can't tell what they'll lay until they do it. I like the greenish and olive eggs too, but would like some more really blue ones in my basket as well.

" Thanks but every time I hatch EE's there Green Egg Layers. "

I had 4 EE's and got 3 different shades of blue/green from them...one of them being nearly sky blue. Maybe with EE's it's just a matter of finding the one that lays the bluest egg and breeding her with a Roo from a white egg laying species?

Last edited:
" Thanks but every time I hatch EE's there Green Egg Layers. "

I had 4 EE's and got 3 different shades of blue/green from them...one of them being nearly sky blue. Maybe with EE's it's just a matter of finding the one that lays the bluest egg and breeding her with a Roo from a white egg laying species?
That's what I'm planning to do, hopefully in the near future. A breeding project to get some nice birds with bright blue eggies. Should be fun.

That's what I'm planning to do, hopefully in the near future. A breeding project to get some nice birds with bright blue eggies. Should be fun.
Oh cool. Yeah, I kinda wish I kept beter track of which egg certain chicks hatched out of with my Fayoumis crosses. I have 3 Fayoumis/EE mixes, but I don't know which one hatched from the blue egg, so I won't really be able to tell if future blue eggs are coming from the pullet that hatched from a blue egg.

Look for the base breeds instead of the mixes. You might try the Cream Legbars or the Aracaunas Aphrael mentioned. I have Cream Legbars on my list-of-birds-to-buy just because I love the shade of blue they lay.

I also want some Croad Langshans, but that's an egg of a different color.

I found this while digging around the net for egg color info one day, and found it helpful.

http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/07/15/gms3-breeding-for-other-egg-colors/

Back
Top Bottom