What breed? TSC chicks from assorted bin

BooMan13

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2022
Took the kids to TSC and picked out some chicks. The two orange ones with white wings are supposed to be Golden Comets. I let the kids pick out the other 4 from the assorted bin. I was told they were all supposed to be pullets. I don't know a lot about all the different breeds, but from what I've researched, I believe 3 of them are easter eggers (two light grey ones and the mottled brown/grey/black one) because they have puffy cheeks. And then looking at pictures, could the chipmunk looking one be a welsummer? What do you guys think?

Also, one of the light grey ones is quite a bit smaller than the others. Could it be a bantam? I have no experience with bantams so I don't know how much difference in size there would be this early. Just a runt?

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    641.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    525.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    591 KB · Views: 30
Puffy cheeks are probably EE's, agreed.

Is the small chick less puffy, have less developed wing feathers, or actually much smaller if you hold him? Different breeds can be a little smaller or just look smaller if they have less fluffy down. Looks too big at this age to be a true bantam, though some laying breeds are on the small side.

What's the comb like on the brown speckled head one?

Puffy cheeks are probably EE's, agreed.

Is the small chick less puffy, have less developed wing feathers, or actually much smaller if you hold him? Different breeds can be a little smaller or just look smaller if they have less fluffy down. Looks too big at this age to be a true bantam, though some laying breeds are on the small side.

What's the comb like on the brown speckled head one?
The one with a speckled head doesn’t really have a comb yet. The two orange and the chipmunk have little single combs showing already. The speckled head and the two grey ones just have a tiny bare, flat spot.

The little guy is noticeably smaller than the other 5. She has the same amount of feather growth as the other puffy cheek ones. I researched a little and I think she must be a runt. She’s definitely smaller, but from what I read, the difference would be more significant.

Back
Top Bottom