what breed is this white chicken?

spalding17

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 29, 2014
This pullet
came from Murray McMurray hatchery and is solid white with yellow legs and is almost 4 months old. I am thinking a white rock, but they have several different white breeds.

I thought Leghorns were skinnier and this chicken is about the same size and width of my easter eggers.

White Rocks have red earlobes. Leghorns have white. Looks like a skinny white bird to me.

Not a leghorn looks nothing like the one i have. They also have big floppy combs.
EE mix? First think I thought when I saw it was looks just like my EE minus the dark legs. :)

Last edited:
Not necessarily with pullets at 4 months. If you google 4 month old White Leghorn pullets, you will see a number of them with combs about this size.

My leghorn is not short and squatty like this chicken either.. Mine is thinner built and is legger and is built different.
To me, this chicken doesnt scream "leghorn"
But Im by no means an expert:)

My leghorn is not short and squatty like this chicken either.. Mine is thinner built and is legger and is built different.
To me, this chicken doesnt scream "leghorn"
But Im by no means an expert:)

I think part of the problem is that with hatchery grade White Leghorns you get all sorts of variations from the SOP. Hatcheries breed them strictly for high egg production and as a result don't worry about meeting any consistent standards.

Back
Top Bottom