What breed is she?

Einna

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2024
I got her at the feed store about a year ago and I can't remember what breed. She lays white eggs. I was told leghorn but i dont think thats correct?
1000010122.jpg
1000010121.jpg
1000010124.jpg
1000010126.jpg

More than likely a Easter Egger which is a mixed breed chicken. She could have leghorn in her still but she is mixed with another breed

Most hatcheries say their Easter Egger flocks will produce mostly hens that lay blue or green, and a few that lay other colors. I think you have one of those others (Easter Egger that doesn't lay blue or green.)

Or you could just call her a "white egger" or a "mixed breed," as both are definitely correct.

Most hatcheries say their Easter Egger flocks will produce mostly hens that lay blue or green, and a few that lay other colors. I think you have one of those others (Easter Egger that doesn't lay blue or green.)

Or you could just call her a "white egger" or a "mixed breed," as both are definitely correct.
When I got her I know it didn't say Easter egger. It was a specific breed. Does that not mean anything from a feed store?

When I got her I know it didn't say Easter egger. It was a specific breed. Does that not mean anything from a feed store?
Labels in feed stores can be right or wrong.

I see lots of posts about labels that were wrong, but of course people do not bother to make a post about labels that are correct, so I have no idea how common it is to have the labels be right and how commonly they are wrong.

When we say "Easter Egger," that is not what the label usually says.
It usually says "Americana" (a wrongly-spelled form of the breed name "Ameraucana," but they use the wrong form when selling mixes that lay colored eggs.)
Or it says "Whiting True Blue" or "Prairie Bluebell Egger" or "Starlight Green Egger" or "Green Queen" or "Sapphire Jewel" or "Lakeside Egger" or some other name that sounds like a breed name. Many of them include "Egger," but not all of them do.

Your hen has a pea comb and dark colored feet. There are relatively few breeds with pea combs. Easter Eggers are far more common than any of the others, and often do have dark feet. So that's why a bunch of us have guessed that. Among the non-Easter Eggers, dark feet and/or white eggs are also rare (yellow legs and brown eggs are both more common.)

Oh, wait, now that I'm thinking about rare breeds... Maybe Splash Sumatra? Possibly listed as Blue Sumatra?
Sumatras are relatively rare, and the blue & splash ones are even rarer than the black ones, but they do exist.
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/splash-sumatra-chicken/
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/blue-sumatra-chicken/

I see lots of posts about labels that were wrong, but of course people do not bother to make a post about labels that are correct, so I have no idea how common it is to have the labels be right and how commonly they are wrong.

It usually says "Americana" (a wrongly-spelled form of the breed name "Ameraucana," but they use the wrong form when selling mixes that lay colored eggs.)
Or it says "Whiting True Blue" or "Prairie Bluebell Egger" or "Starlight Green Egger" or "Green Queen" or "Sapphire Jewel" or "Lakeside Egger" or some other name that sounds like a breed name. Many of them include "Egger," but not all of them do.

Your hen has a pea comb and dark colored feet. There are relatively few breeds with pea combs. Easter Eggers are far more common than any of the others, and often do have dark feet. So that's why a bunch of us have guessed that. Among the non-Easter Eggers, dark feet and/or white eggs are also rare (yellow legs and brown eggs are both more common.)

Oh, wait, now that I'm thinking about rare breeds... Maybe Splash Sumatra? Possibly listed as Blue Sumatra?
Sumatras are relatively rare, and the blue & splash ones are even rarer than the black ones, but they do exist.
This is the one! Thank you soo much! I've been looking up so many different breeds and asking so many people. I hate to get argumentative with someone I know has more knowledge about the topic but I knew I'd know it when I heard it😁

A pic of her egg mixed with my black silkie w silver leakage. So excited to see the color (he/she?) turns out to be.
1000010133.jpg

Wrong body type for a Sumatra. They're more sleek, less rump, & longer neck. She also doesn't have the Gypsy Face which Blue, & Splash have as well as the Black.

Thinking more then likely an EE that lays white.

Back
Top Bottom